IGNORED

Corona Virus

18 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Paper bags may be preferable to plastic bags because the virus population declines twice as fast on the former.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

13 hours ago, rando said:

These are rapidly being warned against using as they are considerably more suspect than long ago made pallets of bags the store itself provides.  Largely for the reason stated below.    

That surface include the one place almost everything heavy than the air lands on.  The one you walk into your elderly or infirmed family member's residence on.  Drop your supplies on to take your shoes off.  Probably should be treating just as seriously as your hands and face.  Cleaning the floor and not what potentially transferred Covid-19 to it is concerning.  That includes the fabric shopping bags you picked up off it to go shopping.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

10 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Don't underestimate infectious transmission through contact. I read on a couple of occasions from sources that should be reliable that touching surfaces contaminated with virus was a more common way of contracting the disease. I have no evidence with stats or hard figures but possibly it relates to many in the public thinking that only being coughed upon is a threat.

This is contrary to the advice of experts who state that the most common means of transmission is breathing air containing droplets resulting from a person sneezing or coughing. Nevertheless, the danger of becoming infected by touching contaminated surfaces and then touching your nose, mouth or eyes must still be taken seriously.

Regarding masks, the general recommendation has long been that those who are not infected should not wear masks. Today, however, this is essential because of  the acute shortage of masks, which demands that they be reserved for only health care workers on the front lines or those infected. The CEO of 3M. one of the major suppliers, has stated that none of their masks should be sold to the public because of the critical needs of doctors and nurses treating the sick.

The risk of becoming infected from the mail is considered to be very low, but extreme caution would suggest that it would not be unreasonable to wash ones hands after handling the mail. Personally, I wear gloves when I collect mine.

43 minutes ago, rando said:

So don't follow.  At least consider taking "me" out of the equation and applying the idea to the population at large.  Even if this is of secondary, tertiary, or an even more distant concern compared to the never pleasant circumstance of walking away from encountering someone wetter than you entered it

Relax! There was nothing personal or "you" in the equation. I was simply seeking more information. Your post disagreed with what I had posted. I included the source of my information and the reason for it. I was simply asking for the source of yours and an explanation of why that should be so. That might be enlightening for many apart from me. As I am sure you know, there is a lot of misinformation about the coronavirus being spread.

Keeping hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol with you when soap and water is unavailable to wash hands is obviously recommended and highly desirable. The problem is that it is virtually impossible to find it for sale anywhere.

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

After Trump's "good feeling" about chloroquine and his misinformation that it had been approved for coronavirus, a couple in the US self-medicated with the drug. She got very sick and he died. Until controlled tests prove both efficacy and safety, no one should be taking these anti-malaria drugs on their own to combat COVID-19.

30 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

Sorry, but his "good feeling" is all he said.  He NEVER said it was "approved"...

As it pertains to "no one should be taking......" those who are should be under doctor supervision and we should see if it has any efficacy after the trials.  Anyone doing so without supervision of a healthcare provider does so at their own risk. 

Talking about spreading misinformation, get your facts straight. He DID say that it was "approved" (at 1:27):

Moreover, Dr. Antony Fauci has said that it has not been approved, nor has it undergone controlled testing - although tests are now underway. Whether it shows "great promise" has yet to be determined. Hyperbole is no substitute for truth. BTW, what I said was that no one should be taking these anti-malaria drugs on their own to combat COVID-19.

14 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

He was referring to the FDA's approval for off label utilization which the states would be charged with distributing, regarding "off label" utilization as well as in controlled drug trials as Hahn elaborated on in more detail.

Perhaps that was what he meant to say or should have said, but that is not what he did say. Most Americans listening to him would not have been aware of that distinction and would falsely believe that a successful treatment has been found. Put your MAGA hat back in the closet.