IGNORED

Corona Virus

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

That should also include the bags used for deliveries from the Supermarket,  even when they are left at the front door .

You should wash your hands after unpacking,  and putting away the bags for return with the next delivery. 

I have read that Covid-19 can survive up to one week on surfaces. The disease appears to be more easily transmitted by contact than direct airborne droplet spray

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, jabbr said:
2 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I have read that Covid-19 can survive up to one week on surfaces. The disease appears to be more easily transmitted by contact than direct airborne droplet spray

No!
The virus appears to bind to the ACE2 receptor in the lung — zinc competes. 

Inhaling a flying goober is the best way to get it. Opening the mail isn’t. ;) 

Hi Jonathan

Don't underestimate infectious transmission through contact. I read on a couple of occasions from sources that should be reliable that touching surfaces contaminated with virus was a more common way of contracting the disease. I have no evidence with stats or hard figures but possibly it relates to many in the public thinking that only being coughed upon is a threat.

One virologist went so far as to say a mask is only good for stopping you touching your face. I think this is misleading. Certainly most authorities are recommending at least P2/N95 or better as a barrier to inhaling the virus. I know if someone was to cough virus laden droplets in my direction I would rather be wearing a mask, any mask. I would then remove the mask and dispose of it.

I also read it is specific to respiratory cells. so yes anyone shedding the virus by coughing droplet spray and when that lands on the mucosa of nose or mouth (oropharynx) the virus can be inhaled to enter the lungs. Although not certain the implication is that you cannot get it through other body fluids like blood or sex. BUT the latter is probably the fastest way to get it via breathing in close proximity to someone who is infected.

I also read about zinc maybe playing a protective role but obviously not a reliable prophylaxis.

Again, if infected droplets land on surfaces, including your mail, and you touch it and then touch your nose or mouth (as we do) you risk infection. Thus the need for hand washing and sanitizing surfaces, wearing gloves when appropriate.

Lets all be as safe as possible

Sound Minds Mind Sound

11 hours ago, jabbr said:

I am saying that airborne inhalation is by far the most effective way to transmit this infection. 

10 hours ago, Allan F said:

experts who state that the most common means of transmission is breathing air containing droplets resulting from a person sneezing or coughing. Nevertheless, the danger of becoming infected by touching contaminated surfaces and then touching your nose, mouth or eyes must still be taken seriously.

Guys, I am merely stressing the importance of not underestimating spread by touching infected surfaces and taking all precautions in that regard.

I was a little surprised to read that touching surfaces contaminated with virus was a more common way of contracting the disease but whether true or not It doesn't equate with being the most effective way of getting it, which is presumably by an infected person coughing in your vicinity. I interpreted it to mean that most people understand the risk of a cough and adhere to social distancing etc but may not necessarily protect themselves from surfaces. The fact that you can contract viruses from touching contaminated surfaces is very well known.

James Robb has a Bachelor in Theoretical Physics prior to studying Medicine and specializing in Pathology and Molecular Biology. Robb published some of the earliest descriptions of coronaviruses and co-wrote the chapter on coronaviruses in the book Comprehensive Virology. In February 2020 he allegedly wrote a "Dear colleagues" letter and was allegedly contacted for verification of authorship.I say allegedly because I cannot personally confirm this. What I can say is that I agree with the advice in the letter once I added some edits for clarification

-------------------------------

Dear Colleagues,

as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.....................

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches, elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!...........

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you [My Edit: but infected droplet spray in the air WILL !!] All the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon [MyEdit - or you touch your face with virus on your hands].

This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs). The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth. <end excerpt>

------------------

I would appreciate any evidence published for OR against the above

Stay safe

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 minutes ago, Jud said:
52 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs). The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

I believe I remember reading (with a bundle of other information, sorry I don't recall more, only that it was from a physician who'd been treating cases) that in some instances there may be involvement of other organs - I recall kidneys and digestive system being mentioned, but no detail.

Hi Jud

My interpretation, rightly or wrongly, is that you can only contract Covid-19 via respiratory cells in the lungs. If like other infections and when viraemia (virus circulating in the bloodstream) occurs there may be involvement of other organs. I haven't heard of contracting Covid-19 via the gut (oro-faecal route) or via the urinary tract.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

43 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Yes I also read Robb suggesting zinc might be of benefit.He actually mentioned one of the zinc lozenges  brand names in his "letter".

What is unclear is the complicated relationship with ACE inhibitors, a common medication of which I am on a very small dose

Edit: I also noted the theoretical route of infection via the gut with ACE2 sitting on epithelial cells

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 hours ago, Allan F said:

Keeping hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol with you when soap and water is unavailable to wash hands is obviously recommended and highly desirable. The problem is that it is virtually impossible to find it for sale anywhere.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-you-shouldnt-make-your-own-hand-sanitizer/

https://www.popsci.com/story/diy/diy-hand-sanitizer/ including WHO formula

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, MetalNuts said:

Do you wash (1) your glasses (for those who wear glasses),  (2) your keys (for those who drive and/or unlock your door to your house)?  

Yes, if you touch those objects with contaminated hands.

better still is just do not touch your face without thoroughly washing your hands.

Have I mentioned previously what an annoying avatar you have? hahaha, keep well my friend !

Sound Minds Mind Sound