IGNORED

The more accurate cable

4 hours ago, Kimo said:

I have been comparing two professional xlr cables; Grimm Audio TPR and Vovox Sonorus Direct.  The Grimm is heavily shielded and stranded.  The Vovox is unshielded and uses solid core wire.  The Grimm produces larger images.  It is more extended and brighter on top with bigger bass  Center images are lock solid.  The Vovox provides a bit more clarity and perhaps better texture in both bass and treble, though seemingly less of both.  Both produce good tonality, but the Grimm is more lit up, or the Vovox is more dull, depending on your viewpoint.

For example, the opening double tracked vocals on Roy Orbison's HD version of Pretty Woman are presented with greater clarity by the Vovox.  With the Grimm, the dominant vocal dominates more.  The drums are smaller but more textured with the Vovox, and bigger and more propulsive with the Grimm.

Both of the these cables work fine, actually great, but they do not present the music the same way.  Both are designed for studio use, and as such, are built for accuracy.  My question is which do you think is more accurate to the original recording?  I am leaning to the Grimm.  It almost sounds louder.  That being said, the Vovox does allow one to hear with a bit more precision.  

IMO, one should never assume anything is built for accuracy (performance) even if "designed for studio use".   For example.  It's not that uncommon for "pros" to consider durability as highest prirorty performance-wise in a commercial application.

Assuming your claims of both cables are relatively accurate, without hesitiation I'd venture the Vovox cables to be the superior performer.  Primarily because you claimed instruments were bigger or produced larger images, brighter, and with bigger bass.  Distortions make borders fuzzy and enlarged and in playback music distortions will make instruments sound larger than actual size.   Some see this as a positive characteristic but it's not.  A 6-inch triangle should sound like a 6-inch triangle, not a 12 or 18-inch triangle, and it should also sound pristine if not delicate.

So based on your claims alone I'd definitely hedge my bet toward the Vovox.  As more and more distortions are sufficiently addressed, you should hear music instruments sounding, among other things, more and more toward the actual-size while simultaneously the ambient information from the soundstage and soundstage should continue to grow larger and larger to also provide a more actual-size perspective.

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me