IGNORED

Decent USB cable that won’t break the bank

alice

2 hours ago, alice said:

Iam currently using a printer cable as the one I had someone build for me with the power disabled does not work with an UltraRendu.

I know Curious Cables are the most popular and probably the most expensive.

Iam after something that’s more sensible priced and available here in Australia.

I bought the Oyaide neo Class A and their more expensive neo Class S. I preferred the sound of the Class A, sent the more expensive Class S back. https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oyaide-neo-d-class-a-usb-20-cable/

I don't think the Ultrarendu is the reason your custom cable didn't work. I believe your DAC needs USB power, as do most. Of the seven DAC's I've owned, only one did not use power from the 5V bus. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

On 6/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, andrewinukm said:

Unfortunately no. I just went for it because it is the "higher end" version within my budget, and it was a demo unit. I also likely wouldn't be able to discern a difference in my system. 

Having owned both, I believe the difference would be obvious in most any system. They sound quite different. The Class A is laid back and organic IME, the S much brighter and more forward sounding. Both are highly detailed and spacious. I much preferred the Class A in my system.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.