IGNORED

Decent USB cable that won’t break the bank

alice

Question

Iam currently using a printer cable as the one I had someone build for me with the power disabled does not work with an UltraRendu.

I know Curious Cables are the most popular and probably the most expensive.

Iam after something that’s more sensible priced and available here in Australia.

You may want to try something like an Audioquest Forest or Cinnamon with the connection type you need. 

They’re good quality and a better value than many other boutique options. Many will say that any cable will do, and there is some truth to that.

A shielded cable with gold connections, however is always a better choice.

3 hours ago, alice said:

About $100

I believe most cables within $100 have similar level of sound quality. They may sound slightly different though, a lot depends on the whole sound system. Your personal preferences do matter - some prefer analytic detailed presentation, while others like warmer fluid sound. In ideal case you may want to compare several cables in your system at home.

See the aftermarket too for better cables with decreased price.

Also, with your budget, I can recommend checking the ghentaudio.com products - great value for money. It is a Chinese builder of different type cables to custom order, with a good reputation here on the forum. They answer very quickly to emails.

25 minutes ago, alice said:

That’s a little dearer in Australia, sure it’s a choice if it’s beats competition in its price range.

Its $160 here in Australia 

Search for used cables on Audiogon or HiFi Shark too. 

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

2 hours ago, alice said:

Iam currently using a printer cable as the one I had someone build for me with the power disabled does not work with an UltraRendu.

Iam after something that’s more sensible priced and available here in Australia.

I bought the Oyaide neo Class A and their more expensive neo Class S. I preferred the sound of the Class A, sent the more expensive Class S back. https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oyaide-neo-d-class-a-usb-20-cable/

I don't think the Ultrarendu is the reason your custom cable didn't work. I believe your DAC needs USB power, as do most. Of the seven DAC's I've owned, only one did not use power from the 5V bus. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

1 hour ago, SJK said:

You may want to try something like an Audioquest Forest or Cinnamon with the connection type you need. 

They’re good quality and a better value than many other boutique options. Many will say that any cable will do, and there is some truth to that.

A shielded cable with gold connections, however is always a better choice.

Agreed, and also Wireworld Starlight is a nice not so expensive cable.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

4 hours ago, Matias said:

Agreed, and also Wireworld Starlight is a nice not so expensive cable.

That’s a little dearer in Australia, sure it’s a choice if it’s beats competition in its price range.

Its $160 here in Australia 

I think Ive been thru about a dozen USB cables, most under $200. My 2 favorites in descending sound quality order

Lush 2 ~$240  big difference between this and all the others I've used, high transparency, full dynamics.

Wireworld Starlight  ~$80  better than the Supra's and  the other Brit press reviewed USB cables near the price point, neutral and open but suffers compressed dynamics

compared to the Lush 2

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

19 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Lush 2 ~$240  big difference between this and all the others I've used, high transparency, full dynamics.

Hi Dave,

did you compare the original Lush to Lush 2 ?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

38 minutes ago, matthias said:

Hi Dave,

did you compare the original Lush to Lush 2 ?

Thanks

Matt

Nope, boarded the train after the Lush 2 came out. Bought the Lush 2 from  pure faith in others reviews on CA because up to that point I had been underwhelmed  by spending

more money on USB cables... glad I did it.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

17 hours ago, alice said:

Is the "'printer" cable causing issues? If not, then why worry about it?

mQa is dead!

You can look into Oyaide Neo d+ Class S or Class A. I own the Class S version. They are affordable and Oyaide publishes an eye diagram measurement for its USB cables on its site. So at least we know that it is made to specifications. As for sound wise, check out some reviews. Note: due to the flat shape of this cable, it's a little fussy with placement, so a little extra length helps.

Another well reviewed & affordable option is Supra USB cable (which I also own, but not using).

On a side note:

I do find that ISO Regen made a preferable difference in my USB chain. Adding iFi iUSB Nano added a wee bit of smoothness/liquidity to the sound. Also it supplies clean power for the ISO Regen (double win for me ✌️).

For me, I can't say I hear much of a difference between USB cables in my system (possibly due to a multitude of factors—not sensitive hearing, mid-fi equipment, room acoustics, etc etc). Though I've heard differences in digital RCA cables at friends' home. So I buy affordable cables with proper specs + good reviews. 

My USB chain:

Laptop > Oyaide Class S (2m) > iFi iUSB 3.0 Nano > Uptone USPCB > ISO Regen > DIY cable > DAC.

P.S. sorry for digging up an old thread.

On 6/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, andrewinukm said:

Unfortunately no. I just went for it because it is the "higher end" version within my budget, and it was a demo unit. I also likely wouldn't be able to discern a difference in my system. 

Having owned both, I believe the difference would be obvious in most any system. They sound quite different. The Class A is laid back and organic IME, the S much brighter and more forward sounding. Both are highly detailed and spacious. I much preferred the Class A in my system.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.