IGNORED

Lumin U1 vs U1 mini + sbooster?

Only the Lumin Mini with Teddy Pardo 12vdc/4.5 amps.

The Mini offered a kind of sweetness out of my planars, I simply just wanted more, the U1 has really satisfied my appetite. 

Next step is to do the Lumin XI which carries it's internal DAC against my PS Audio DSD dac without the Bridge II.

What would be nice if there was a Lumin standalone DAC like the U1.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for digging up an old thread but when replacing the stock PSU in the u1 mini are we connecting a ground wire or leaving it disconnected/ungrounded?

The stock smps unit grounds through the cage of the switching power supply so without a dedicated ground wire you're running without.

4 hours ago, barbz said:

Sorry for digging up an old thread but when replacing the stock PSU in the u1 mini are we connecting a ground wire or leaving it disconnected/ungrounded?

The stock smps unit grounds through the cage of the switching power supply so without a dedicated ground wire you're running without.

I found it beneficial to use a thick ground wire from Lumin U1 Mini into my integrated amplifier’s ground terminal. Straight from Lumins ground post to mains ground didn’t sound so good. 

I’m using the Sbooster with additional filtering. 

Say NO to ROON

14 hours ago, barbz said:

Yes, you will have to leave the ground wire disconnected, I simply tape down mine on the frame. 

However, the Lumin offers an external grounding nut, I suggest to use it.

Only cut the red wire in the middle of the length, this will allow working room if you made need to return to it's original state eg for resale.

• 9 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 11:18 PM, MrCypruz said:

I’m one of the guys who was actually curious about this comparison (U1 vs U1 Mini+S Booster). I have both units and I thought it would be useful to share my experience with the to help potential buyers. 

I can safely say to just don’t bother with the U1 Mini, if you have the funds just go for the big brother U1. The difference is so noticeable that it’s not even worth comparing them, the U1 is simply better - better resolution and clarity, wider and deeper stage, blacker background, greater instrument separation, greater refinement...in a nutshell I would say that the U1 makes the U1 Mini sound “strained”.

The U1 Mini+S Booster combo is a serious step up from regular computer streaming and it beats most streamers at the same price range currently available on the market but it can’t hold a candle against its big brother, the U1.

I’ll be putting the combo up for sale in a few days, so that it can find a new home where it will get some love, otherwise it will turn into a great dust collector. 

Agree 100%!!!

Just posted this on another site, and thought i would add it here since you're quoted inmy response and you helped me make my move to the U1!

Chiming in on the Lumin U1 Mini Vs. the U1 discussion.

I finally took delivery of my new Lumin U1, and I placed right next to my U1 Mini with the SBooster.

Both set ups were the same.  AES connection to my Holo Audio Spring DAC 3 KTE  Edition with preamp module, feeding directly into my PS Audio M1200 Mono Blocks, feeding my Focal Sopra 2's.  I mostly used Qobuz and my Innuos ZEN Mini Mk3 for my legacy CD collection.

I listen to a lot of Electronic, House and Jazz music, Many of the tracks i listened to have been in the rotation for years, so I know them all very well.  

In a nut shell I have to completely agree with this assessment post by another poster here

. " The U1 is significantly better than the U1Mini, main differences being in the instrument separation, blacker background, deeper and wider stage, better resolution / clarity and overall a more refined presentation".

This was a complete no-brainer for me and the easiest comparison I've ever undertook.  As I mentioned, most of the tracks I listened to were well known to me, and I heard stuff in the background that I've never heard before!  The lyrics were more clear and intelligible than I've ever heard from my system.  The bass was bigger and more controlled than before as well.  I use two JL Audio Subs and a JL Audio CR-1 controller with my set up to supplement my Sopras,  and this new combination made the most of it. 

As others mentioned, I was also able to increase the volume on tracks without any glare what so ever.  Just more control over the content...period!  In my opinion, with my set up, I would say the U1 Mini is capable of about 75% of what the U1 can do.

What's most confusing about this comparison is the fact that these two transports appear to be very close in spec on paper.  However, I can tell you without any hesitation that the move from the U1 Mini to the U1 was an excellent investment in my system.

Now I have to wonder.... what would the X-1 PSU do for the U1??? (this hobby is insane....)

The U1 can now be found on the used market for around 4K!  I would easily recommend this over the U2mini with booster.  

47 minutes ago, Hubbman said:

I would easily recommend this over the U2mini with booster.  

Thanks for the review.  Have you heard the U2 mini, or are you assuming the U1 mini and U2 mini are the same in terms of sound quality?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 1 month later...

Achtung!  Proceed at your own risk, but Alvin made a U2 smps to lps mod guide:

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC