IGNORED

How do you avoid buying CD's you already have?

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

Reaching the library size where I find myself occasionally buying (used) CD's of material I already have. I'm wondering if there is a good inventory

program out there I could run against my FLAC music library and check against the results on my iPhone when out shopping?

All my CDs are in MPD, and I wrote a shell script to extract the album names from the MPD database to a text file. I upload the text file to my Google drive so I can search it via my phone when I’m out shopping for CDs.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

15 minutes ago, church_mouse said:

One of the reasons I keep JRiver as my back-up player is for this purpose:

1 I have a smart playlist in JRiver called All My Music.

2 I use the ''export playlist'' option in JRiver to generate a csv file which I store in the cloud for easy access anywhere.

I run an export every time I add a purchase in case I should ever need some supporting evidence for insurance purposes if I suffered a catastrophic loss.

Does the playlist contain all the tracks for all the albums? I get that out of MPD, but then I turn the full track list into just artist/album names with a script.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DavidL said:

There was at least 1 thread here a year or 2 ago discussing how to set up a database for a music library. I've not been able to find it in the old Computer Audiophile threads so I'll recap. I continue to use iTunes for curating my library as it is mature and meets all my needs. I use the following simple, free process:

1) In iTunes, setup a playlist for all the tracks in the library - for a large library do this for each genre to keep the size manageable.

2) Set up the view options for this playlist so only those required for the database are visible, probably Album and Artist (or Album artist).

3) Click on a row and select all, and copy this.

4) In Excel, open a new worksheet, highlight the first cell and paste the data copied in iTunes.

5) Delete the first column (the track title)

6) Insert a header row before the first music record e.g. Album in col.1 and Artist in col.2 if that's how you copied the data.

7) Select all the records and use the advanced filter command (Data>Filter>Advance Filter) and check the 'Unique records only' box. Click 'OK'. Copy the resulting columns to a new worksheet (as the repeated rows have only been hidden not deleted) and edit this if required.

This database can be used direct or exported to a mobile device. To manage this database I use Tap Forms Mac on an iPhone, iPad and iMac with syncing via dropbox. I also keep a separate list of Album 'wants' in a similar format.

I actually get the list of my albums out of MPD on Linux. But I've just been playing with some AppleScript to extract albums from an iTunes collection in a text file. This a script called 'extract_albums.applescript':

#!/usr/bin/osascript

tell application "iTunes"
  activate
  set results to (every file track of playlist "Library")
  repeat with aTrack in results
    log "Artist: " &(get artist of aTrack) & " Album: " & (get album of aTrack)
  end repeat
end tell

Open the terminal app, run the script on the command line like this:

# Make the script executable
$ chmod +x extract_albums.applescript

# Write the sorted list of artists and their albums to stdout
$ ./extract_albums.applescript 2>&1 | sort -u

# Write the list of albums to a text file that you can upload to your phone
$ ./extract_albums.applescript 2>&1 | sort -u > my_albums.txt