IGNORED

How do you avoid buying CD's you already have?

9 hours ago, Mayfair said:

I use JRiver Media Center to  access and play my library remotely.  It's easy to check whether I already have something I'm contemplating buying as a CD.

mmm, don't think Roon does this... unless I go to the complexity of adding VPN remote connection  for my home network over the internet. And cell phone data bandwidth can be unpredictable. I like  @Richard Dale's approach, but would want a solution that required no script knowledge and allowed the list to be locally

searchable on a cell phone

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, semente said:

I used Librarian Pro for years but it is no longer able to use Amazon's database.

iTunes is fine anyway.

You could try one of these smartphone apps?

https://www.collectorz.com/music/clz-music

Much closer! I'd have to spend a few hours scanning the two boxes of CD's I've stored but it would also address  version questions (original vs later performance).

Does have a subscription cost, about $40/year for PC and mobile app

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, lucretius said:

I know, I'm a little late in responding. :)

You can create your CD inventory in Discogs (or Musicbrainz).  Then you can access it on your phone assuming you have a data or wi-fi connection.

Appreciate the thought, think I have my vinyl catalogued there already. With 900 CD’s, I wonder if Discogs supports a bar code scanner for CD info capture?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

You could probably download a barcode scan app like barcodetopc to your phone and use a code search like barcodelookup.com to populate your list. Then you could just look at your list on your phone to see if you already have whatever you’ve found before buying it.

Thanks! Its amazing how many re-releases there are with classical, they can fool you if you don't have complete info at hand.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, jarrod2750 said:

The Discogs app does allow you to scan the barcode.  It’s very easy to use.

Thanks! Just tested after downloading the iOS app, all I had to do was say yes for camera permission when first clicking the barcode icon

in search window and it recognized the CD. Now I just have to spend time scanning my stored CD's

Discogs delivers what I needed!!!

Regards,

Dave

Audio system