IGNORED

Please help a total newby

Hello,

I am new to streaming. Never done it before. I have a decent 2 channel system in my basement, a dedicated room. There is no wifi or ethernet access there and I can not hardwire internet to that location. So, i am stuck with offline streaming only. I have a windows 10 laptop, an android phone, and a great external DAC I would like to use. Can you help me put together a system for offline streaming high rez files from Tidal or Qobuz? I need an uncompromised signal into my Denafrips DAC. I was thinking Pi4 with volumio software but not sure. How would I get the downloaded sequence of tracks to the Pi4? Bluetooth? Wifi repeater? I am confused. Thanks in advance.

I think I understand what you are trying to do but it might be difficult to accomplish in practice.

I'm currently using a comparable streaming service (Amazon Music) on my desktop computer. The Amazon Music app allows me to download content and play back the downloaded content from that computer. I can't, however, transfer the downloaded files to another device for playback because they are stored locally in a proprietary format to prevent piracy. I would expect Tidal and Qobuz to do the same.

I think your options are one of the following:

1. Download the content onto a device such as a phone or tablet that can be easily moved from where you have Internet access to where you don't

2. Extend your Internet access down to the basement using one of the methods that others have suggested

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 hours ago, shumi said:

ow would I get the downloaded sequence of tracks to the Pi4? Bluetooth? Wifi repeater? I am confused. Thanks in advance.

First of all, Welcome to Audiophile Style, shumi !

1) If you want to download the sequence (I think that should describe a song or an album), you need to pay for it, as this ervice ain#t part of the streaming service: If you want to buy from qobuz, use your connected device (tablet/mobile/pc) upstairs, buy and download it to an usb stick, bring it down to your listening room and connect the usb device to your source for the DAC.
2) If it should be streaming without ownership, than follow the two first responses. A Powerline solutions looks most promising for what I understood from your case.
Cheers, Tom
Edit: 3. Like kumakuma said !

Our house has a concrete slab between the main and lower levels. My router is located in a far corner of the lower level and cannot cover the whole house. I'm using a TP-Link RE450 for extending wi-fi upstairs, where it feeds a couple of non-audiophile systems wirelessly.

In my main audio system, I use a TP-Link RE580D in bridge mode, configured so it does not broadcast wi-fi, only receives @ 5GHz, connected to my sms-200 via ethernet cable.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Guys,

I was able to get more data on wifi reception in the basement downloading a wifi signal strength app. It looks like I have 65% of signal with decent speed. If that is the case, I think I should be ok, right? Do you still think I may need the TP-Link RE580D? 

@shumi

If you have the local device in the cellar having access to the WiFi network you may play the cached content from your (mobile) wifi enabled device to your DAC, without the need of a repeater or plugs.

You need to find out in which format your service provider (Q,T, Am, Ap etc) stores the content local.
I have made the experience that local content provision has lead to quality limitations, i.e  files stored as MP3.
For your desired lossless & high res files you may ask your provider.
Best, DT

1 hour ago, shumi said:

Guys,

I was able to get more data on wifi reception in the basement downloading a wifi signal strength app. It looks like I have 65% of signal with decent speed. If that is the case, I think I should be ok, right? Do you still think I may need the TP-Link RE580D? 

Wi-Fi strength is not constant, it varies due to wireless traffic in your house and from neighbours. You may be fine, or you may experience dropouts in your audio system.

Speaking of your audio system, you may want to consider something better than a Raspberry to feed your Denafrips. I own a RPi 3 B+ and a sms-200. The sms-200 has significantly better sound quality than the Raspberry. Renderers from Sonore and SOtM have no wi-fi capability, you would need a 580D or similar to provide an ethernet connection. There are several other streamer possibilities from Allo, Volumio, Lumin, etc.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.