IGNORED

General question about speaker placement sensitivity

I posted about the possible need to replace my current speakers because one may have a problem with the tweeter.  I have decided that I am going to look at replacing them.  

My current speakers are floorstanders. They replaced standmounts.  I have been aware that the floorstanders are much more sensitive to placement than were the smaller speakers.  As my room is difficult, this has been a bit of an annoyance over time.

So, I have a threshold question that maybe is dumb:  as a general rule, are standmounts less sensitive about placement than floorstanders or is that really a function of the individual make and model?  I am thinking about conventional cone/EMIT kinds of box speakers, not the exotics like electrostats or Maggies.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 3/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, Mike Rubin said:

are standmounts less sensitive about placement than floorstanders or is that really a function of the individual make and model?

Individual characteristics are certainly important--dispersion pattern is one issue.

At the same time standmounts relieve the issue that sometimes the best placement for bass is not convenient or compatible with the rest of the sound spectrum.

At least with standmounts you can place a sub (or just a good woofer!) in its optimum position even if that position isn't the same as the main speakers. There are trade-offs with this approach but they may be less than moving house/room.