IGNORED

Does a DAC's output change as it warms up?

9 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

You got to love mansr.

I read the post on the ESS hump and it was interesting. Even though I tested a DIY DAC I was actually looking for a software solution. 

5 hours ago, jabbr said:

This really makes the point that it’s how the ESS is implemented that affects the sound, as Charles Hansen always said. 

Too often a part is marketed. My experience also testing some low cost DACs, often with ESS chips. I’ve never typically liked their sound. Same point for using a clock. It’s not the clock specs that matter, rather than how the clock interacts with the entire circuit. Those mundane details are important!

Yes agree. I wonder if designers are just using a known reference design.  

Well aren't better spec'd clocks implemented better. I want to add the clock's power supply also matters. I'm curious if the changes made to fix the hump caused some other issue.       

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Well aren't better spec'd clocks implemented better. I want to add the clock's power supply also matters.

The clocks power supply absolutely matters and when a clock manufacturer publishes phase noise plots, assume they are using a great PSU. Plopping in any old PSU ain’t gonna give you those specs. 

Great clocks are a commodity these days so we’d expect that a very well made DAC will use a very good clock. I’m saying that you can’t take a very cheap DAC and fix its layout problems by plugging in an uber expensive external clock. Layout issues with correlated jitter can’t be fixed by reducing random jitter. 
Sounds like a great story though. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

16 hours ago, jabbr said:

Great clocks are a commodity these days so we’d expect that a very well made DAC will use a very good clock. I’m saying that you can’t take a very cheap DAC and fix its layout problems by plugging in an uber expensive external clock. Layout issues with correlated jitter can’t be fixed by reducing random jitter. 
Sounds like a great story though. 

Jon,

A good start for a white paper 😂

On 3/16/2020 at 1:01 AM, gmgraves said:

I find the ESS DACs to be very “hard” sounding

As an owner, I would agree with you in terms of the Oppo 205 sounding comparatively “hard”, but I’ve wondered before if that is an objective flaw or just the sound of a  “warts and all” accurate DAC?  According to both Amir  and @Archimago the  Oppo measures very well.

1 hour ago, Norton said:

As an owner, I would agree with you in terms of the Oppo 205 sounding comparatively “hard”, but I’ve wondered before if that is an objective flaw or just the sound of a  “warts and all” accurate DAC?  According to both Amir  and @Archimago the  Oppo measures very well.

Yes, it does measure well, but as I said earlier, I can listen to a recording via the  Oppo 205’s DAC, the latest Yggdrasil, or the Benchmark DAC 3 (the Benchmark and the Oppo both use the ESS SabreDAC pro) and both the ESS based DACs sound remarkably similar, that is to say somewhat hard and metallic, while the new Yiggy is as sweet as a mother’s kiss from bottom to top!

George

44 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

A lot of harmonic distortion might just sweeten the sound a tad ;)

Does harmonic distortion at <-80 dB correlate with listening pleasure? 

Perhaps the "ESS" hump is more of a listening speed bump than a few short hairs ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

52 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

No. At least it shouldn't in this case, as there are way too many higher level odd order harmonic products.

You would need a surfeit of even order harmonics to do this.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

No. At least it shouldn't in this case, as there are way too many higher level odd order harmonic products.

You would need a surfeit of even order harmonics to do this.

Are you sure that George doesn't prefer high-order odd harmonics? ;) Maybe that's what makes it sound sweet to him?

Just now, jabbr said:

Well I can assure you that the SIT-2 he mentions (I have the monoblock SIT-1) is even smoother than a baby's bottom -- babies come over to polish their bottoms on it 😂😂😂

My Pass Aleph 1.2 mono-blocks are even smoother, but no baby will sit on them without getting their bums burnt or legs scratched by the sharp heatsinks. That amp is a health hazard, even before you get a hernia trying to lift it!

4 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

image.thumb.png.967affbe3caae5105574c36d3de2f347.png

What’s the date of this test? The newest Yiggy has less distortion than the previous one (according to Schiit). It’s difficult to tell because Schiit doesn’t differentiate Yiggy models with nomenclature like “MKII” or “V.2”. 

George

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

What’s the date of this test? The newest Yiggy has less distortion than the previous one (according to Schiit). It’s difficult to tell because Schiit doesn’t differentiate Yiggy models with nomenclature like “MKII” or “V.2”. 

From the chart, Oct 8, 2019. Seems to be the latest posted on Schiit site: https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit DAC APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Yggdrasil Analog 2_Gen 5.pdf

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

Well I can assure you that the SIT-2 he mentions (I have the monoblock SIT-1) is even smoother than a baby's bottom -- babies come over to polish their bottoms on it  -- that's why I have 2!! 😂😂😂

One for each channel, or one for each baby ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 3 weeks later...