IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN (Objective Discussion Only)

One more thing to note with the measurements done today. The methods involve certain math/windows apart from the filters and samplers. These windows actually choose to ignore/discard certain aspects of the signal. All theories base on top of a condition/assumption which may not always be true. Nyquist theorem has its own boundary conditions to be fulfilled (perfect aa filters is one of them), autocorrelation needs its own boundary conditions to be fulfilled. Parametrizing something as linear time invariant and using lti analysis methods is inherently discarding a lot of information since barely any system is truly lti. It's even more so in case of headphones where every aspect of the link is non linear. The transducer-amp interaction is similar to a generator-motor interaction, and I don't think I've ever seen a simple model for that interaction in my course. The graph is complicated. Same goes for the air packet in between the transducer and the ear - you enter into fluid dynamics which is a concept in itself, turbulence, navier-stokes equations and what not.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:06 PM, mfsoa said:

Exactly which measurements have been shown to correlate to the sound quality of ethernet switches? Surely you have this information as you are looking to have specific numerical values inserted so you can determine what the product sounds like.

Surely it would help Uptone if you provide them that list, along with target values that you know to provide "bad" "acceptable" or "above average"  so that they know what measurements to be concerned with. 

I would also like this information for sneakers...watches...food...women... Is there ANY other freaking hobby in the world where looking at numbers on a page is seen as an adequate substitute for actually USING (listening) to the device under test? 

I'll give you numbers but first you have to listen to the unit in question. Now I give you the numbers 11 and 0.004. Has the sound of the unit changed? No? You mean having numbers made no difference to the sound of the unit?

Why do we need others to tell us our stereo sounds good?

How about any measurements that shows what this device does?

15 hours ago, Seraph said:

Why on earth would I pay for something that has no proven affect on sound quality whatsoever?

And that, is the whole point of my argument.

Stick with what you know, Seraph.  There's no need to try new things, just because many other people enjoy them.   They are probably stupid, anyway, right? Carry on the way you are.  Save all that money.  And have fun in your fact-based, bullshit free world - if that's what you want.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

2 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

Stick with what you know, Seraph.  There's no need to try new things, just because many other people enjoy them.   They are probably stupid, anyway, right? Carry on the way you are.  Save all that money.  And have fun in your fact-based, bullshit free world - if that's what you want.

His/her opinion is NOT FACT based. It is abstraction based!.

Just now, manueljenkin said:

His/her opinion is NOT FACT based. It is abstraction based!.

Really?  (hint ~ think 'irony')  Sorry if my my message was unclear.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

10 minutes ago, manueljenkin said:

There have been so many things that were unexplained for a while before the gears evolved measure and prove them. Tonnes of theories. It was believed the sun revolved around the earth for centuries. And some people still believe that way, just like you people do in audio.

The finding typically comes first, explanation next and proof later! If you want to miss out on an experience, it's your wish. I've factually disproven the credibility of assessment techniques at asr and innerfidelity (read older Post). I'm yet to see even a dc offset measurement, crosstalk measurement from asr all of which can kick both the transducer and your perception for a spin.

But in this case it has not been proven that the device in question does anything whatsoever.

25 minutes ago, manueljenkin said:

I've factually disproven the credibility of assessment techniques at asr and innerfidelity (read older Post).

That is interesting. Exactly when and how did you arrive to this conclusion? Are the people over at ASR aware of this? 

12 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

So much for an objective forum. You gents don't understand the meaning of the word. Opinions, unsubstantiated claims and conspiracy theories are not it, sorry.

Unsubstantiated assertions and conspiracy theories are coming from diverse quarters including the ostensibly objectivist. A wilful refusal to contemplate ordinary principles of logic should be added to your admirable list.

Objective-Fi is about what is measurable [in the empirical tradition] ... combined with drawing only what is logically legitimate from such observations.

Yes - we don't have Objective-Fi within our sights yet.

17 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

So much for an objective forum. You gents don't understand the meaning of the word. Opinions, unsubstantiated claims and conspiracy theories are not it, sorry.

Pot calling the kettle black from where I sit. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.