IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN (Objective Discussion Only)

I repeat:

The only way that superior sound quality can be verified is by performing a series of correctly performed independent DBT sessions , NOT by using measurements.

However, this appears to be a concept foreign to you.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Sandy.... I wasn't speaking to you. I was speaking to Alex about the White paper and what UpTone is really suggesting people do.

You disagreed with it. I pointed out two sections of their 'paper' that said:

Optical breaks leakage currents, data transfers generate 'phase noise'.

So go optical and go for as a high speed interface as you can until something else in the setup becomes the bottle neck.

In my setup it's a $69 Celeron 3150 based mainboard. But at 332MB/s I don't think it's detrimental. Would a J5005 based system get me closer? I don't know because my SSD may start being the limiting factor. Then I have to start chasing NVMe... And the cycle of insanity over processing a measly 706Kbps continues.

13 minutes ago, plissken said:

Sandy.... I wasn't speaking to you. I was speaking to Alex about the White paper and what UpTone is really suggesting people do.

• plissken
  •  
  • 4155 posts

Sandy, read Alex's FAQ in the 'white paper'. It's exactly what people are being told to do as best practice.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

$69! Preposterous! You could’ve spent half that and done better. Someone call the snake oil police!

I'm talking about the objective wire speed performance of $69 passively cooled mainboard. iPerf was used so it's all chunked out of RAM.

Maybe I could get faster wirespeed with a Opteron 6276 as you can get both a 24 core CPU and Mainboard for ~$50-60. Can't speak for the fan noise however...

52 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

$69! Preposterous!

Don't know: $640 for a 100Mbit switch which does nothing that a $40 switch can't do or $210 for 10GBe optical and $430 on a passively cooled, zero mechanical noise, computer system (J4105, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, JRiver, Monitor).

Implement some SoX, Room Correction, House Curve in JRiver...

I'll take my chances on what constitutes preposterous in most peoples mind.

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

We did.

But some do not seem happy with that.

And John just spent $14K+ on a very sensitive phase-noise measurement system to prove that aspect of his theory.

UpTone-J.Swenson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.

Still the question remains;

Please publish the test results of your device producing a superior sound quality compared to any other sub 100$ network switch.

When it comes to digital audio, we are almost never bothered about the overall speed/bandwidth in packet chunks. We are more worried about the timing and integrity.

A high speed car with terrible low speed (and possibly terrible suspension) perfornance will suck when driving through a speed breaker.

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I guess my joke didn’t go over well. 

I was joking that anytime you guys bring up how much money people could spend to get the same performance (and give a self satisfied sniff because it’s seemingly cheap), there is always another product cheaper than the one you mentioned. I’m not a fan of racing to the bottom though. 

I'm for what's effective. Cheap/Inexpensive are subjective terms that don't have any meaning on their own. Price to performance is another matter.

I picked the 3150N years ago because it met my primary needs: Passively cooled, PCI-e expansion, and more than enough processing power for running Convolution and 24/192. $69 was a side benefit.

14 minutes ago, Seraph said:

Still the question remains;

Please publish the test results of your device producing a superior sound quality compared to any other sub 100$ network switch.

@Superdad
Show me the numbers that your device makes [edit]any rig sound better and I'll order your network switch right now.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

I repeat:

The only way that superior sound quality can be verified is by performing a series of correctly performed independent DBT sessions , NOT by using measurements.

However, this appears to be a concept foreign to you.

Hi,

This is the Objective-Fi part of this forum. Please abide to the laws of physics.

33 minutes ago, Seraph said:

Hi,

This is the Objective-Fi part of this forum. Please abide to the laws of physics.

DBTs are frequently demanded by Objectivists. Are a tool used by Objectivists, and rarely by Subjectivists other than to satisfy the demands by Objectivists.

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

Right now I would settle for either DBT/SBT or some reproducible measurement data.

Are you willing to cover the costs of having this done independently from A.S. and A.S.R ? 

2 minutes ago, Seraph said:

Uptone owner @Superdad has been invited with his scientist John Swenson to a blind test of the USB Regen device a few years ago, they both faded the invitation. Does anyone really think these guys are serious actors in the audio market?

In case you haven't noticed ,(or care)  this thread is UpTone Audio EtherREGEN (Objective Discussion Only)