IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN (Objective Discussion Only)

On 3/31/2020 at 9:11 PM, lucretius said:

Sometimes it's nice to hear that skepticism if just to gauge how many reasonable people hold that position. More often than not, I see a lot of folks claiming such and such makes huge improvements and the deniers and skeptics are absent. In such a case, I'm led to believe that there's something wrong with me for not being able to discern some of the differences claimed.

I would express my opinion on products that sound illogical or silly to me if there was a non offensive way to do it. And to include the caveat that I have not and will not be trying said product myself. Currently I know of no way to do this.

I feel sorry if a person has a need for outside conformation of their doubts, I have no problem being alone in anything I doubt.

On 4/1/2020 at 6:28 AM, pkane2001 said:

It's a risk. Just like you wouldn't put a hand in the fire because you know you'll likely get burned, you wouldn't want to try a test that likely will cast doubt on a tightly held, precious belief system.

That sounds like a logical conclusion. However, perhaps there are also people like me who don’t enjoy comparing anything. I don’t even like comparing performances of the same classical piece, and many people enjoy this a lot. Either I am weird or others also don’t care to do comparisons, I don’t know. 

On 4/1/2020 at 7:15 AM, pkane2001 said:

Blind tests are more fun than cooking dinner... subjectively speaking :) 

As I stated above I don't enjoy comparing anything. When I make a purchase I first see which items are in my price range, then which ones I like the looks of, which ones offer features I want, and then which ones offer the best specifications. Finally I narrow it down to one item, I take it home and listen to my favorite music through it. If I like it I keep it, if I don't I take it back for a refund.

5 hours ago, plissken said:

Don't worry, ASR's review still has 2nd placement in Google search.

The product under discussion is not one I would ever try. I started following this thread to read about any measured performance differences and the ASR review is the only objective one I have read so far. 

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

Perhaps because objectivists don't consider trolls like @Seraph to be "fellow objectivists"...

Personally, I don't think he is a troll as I have agreed with many of his posts.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

13 hours ago, jabbr said:

Do you understand what you posted regarding what the limitations of Fourier transform might or might not be with regard to transients?

I wouldn't look to stackexchange as authoritative but Fourier transforms including limitations are very well known and described.

I only said, transients are better analysed looking at envelopes, and if it is a LTI system, through Laplace transforms and such. fft is a visualization, and not the best one for analysing transients is what I meant. Different types of windowing functions, and window lengths show different visualizations, and give scope to tweak the best visualization for your signal to be checked. I'm unsure what you find odd in my statement. Regarding stackexchange, again i'm not sure your grudge there, but the link i posted was relevant. Also of importance is phase information, which will need complex fft (both phase and amplitude plots). You can get back original samples if you have both phase and amplitude information, not from plots of amplitude alone, discarding phase.

I was meaning spectral leakage, smearing etc, when analysing transient signal using fft/dft.

https://dspillustrations.com/pages/posts/misc/spectral-leakage-zero-padding-and-frequency-resolution.html

14 hours ago, jabbr said:

This paper describes ways to measure Ethernet receivers in the presence of injected jitter, so called stressed eye pattern testing, again to ensure that input jitter is not retransmitted:

https://www.tek.com/document/application-note/physical-layer-tests-100-gb-s-communications-systems

65W_28494_1_LR_Letter (2).pdf 2.01 MB · 4 downloads

Now you are trying the Frankenstein design  (let's create first and see what happen later)😁

10 hours ago, Teresa said:

That sounds like a logical conclusion. However, perhaps there are also people like me who don’t enjoy comparing anything. I don’t even like comparing performances of the same classical piece, and many people enjoy this a lot. Either I am weird or others also don’t care to do comparisons, I don’t know. 

I agree, Teresa. Comparing is not as much fun as just enjoying the music. And yet, most audiophiles do comparisons all the time, but avoid blind testing like a plague. 

Blind testing doesn't dictate quick switching, ABX, triangular, pair-wise, hidden-reference, or any other specific type of testing. All blind testing requires is that the listener not know the identity of the device being tested. One can listen for 5 seconds, listen for 5 hours or 5 weeks. Doesn't really matter, as long as the identity of the device is hidden from the listener. If you believe you can tell the (often huge) difference using your ears, then blind testing should be a cinch -- just do exactly the same type of comparison you'd normally do, but without the knowledge of which device is in the circuit. If you can still tell the devices apart, then you have a much better, objectively speaking, evidence that you heard a real difference.

11 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

And yet, most audiophiles do comparisons all the time, but avoid blind testing like a plague. 

So apparently do many Objective people,  although they keep demanding them of Audiophiles ,  yet when the results don't go the way they expected them to, refuse to accept the results , or claim that the series of Blind test sessions   (not just a single session) weren't performed correctly ! 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

56 minutes ago, sandyk said:

So apparently do many Objective people,  although they keep demanding them of Audiophiles ,  yet when the results don't go the way they expected them to, refuse to accept the results , or claim that the series of Blind test sessions   (not just a single session) weren't performed correctly ! 

What are you talking about? When was this blind test done and who participated?

16 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I must say, the amount of posts being reported as being against the objective-fi rules is astounding. However, the objectivists aren't reporting their own fellow objectivists. 

Ha! All three of the remaining four objectivists here are reporting subjective posts in Objectify? The horror! I've yet to report a single post by anyone since I joined CA, so I know it's not me 🤨

2 hours ago, alfe said:

Now you are trying the Frankenstein design  (let's create first and see what happen later)😁

That’s the software approach to hardware: keep typing until the compile errors go away, and then until the segfaults get less  😂

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I think I am big outlier from all you people. While I appreciate and enjoy higher fidelity, audio, I am not as much bothered about it. I prefer listening to my Bluetooth or phone speaker or a mono speaker, and dance to it. The reason I stick around, explore and spot changes is only on a scientific pursuit to learn things. No matter how great the music is, for me, it doesn't compare to the pleasure I get when I play the flute in my amateurish ways, or sing, or blast an edm in my Bluetooth speaker and dance to it. Hi-fi is typically too restrictive - wall hugging, imaging sweet spot, unstable headphones, room restrictions, etc.

My approach here is Tweak, experiment, learn. Characterize the aberration in notes, and develop tones and try to spot it audibly, when the gear is ready to measure. Did a few of them successfully already. Few others friends helped me, like the difference between winyl and foobar. I don't think that particular measurement is audible, but it proves that they both don't do the same thing and there may be more aberrations hidden not yet measured.

Tldr: less bothered about hifi audio for my consumption. I'm using it as a gateway to explore power supply design, signal processing/machine learning, electrical-mechanical interactions and transistor modelling.

39 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Personally I don't believe anything (objective or subjective) that I have not heard with my ear/brain system. I think you are taking this too seriously. IMHO enjoying music is what it is about.

Yep, and this is the way it should be. Last year I was auditioning speakers, and there was a pair I was very keen on (for budget reasons limiting myself to the used section at my local dealer). All was going well while auditioning some jazz favorites, etc. and then I put on a favorite Cat Power track. For some reason, it sounded like an entirely different mix than I'd heard on any other speaker or system. Tried it several times and it just did not work. But only that album. Crazy. Totally ruled them out right there and then. I have no clue how they measure compared to what I ultimately ended up with and it wouldn't have mattered compared to just listening. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

I know this is a thread about EtherRegen, but for comparison, there are some new measurements on ASR for yet another audiophile ethernet switch. This one is a bit cheaper than ER. Surprisingly(?) it also does nothing to the measured output. At least according to measurements of noise, distortions, and jitter.

Crickets