IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN (Objective Discussion Only)

8 hours ago, manueljenkin said:

I need a bit more detail on the sampling rate etc. To check on the sampling artefacts and filtering artefacts will need an analysis of the ADC in use.

But this is more of a static/averaged signal. Transient analysis will be one from an inertial frame of reference. The path from inertia to steady state denotes the transient curves. The type of filter/sampler design to measure transients and steady state phenomenon need not be same. Every design will have a bound within which they perform optimal.

This is a tool for quickly assessing DACs and ADCs in a loop-back configuration. Sample rate, etc. are all up to the device and are selectable. The capture I posted was at 96kHz.

No, the signal is not static. And not averaged. One FFT-size worth of samples is collected and processed. And, of course, the frequency domain and the time domain are interchangeably representing the same exact data. Here's that multi-tone signal, zoomed-in in the time domain:

image.thumb.png.9928fbaab5e3426d8be1f080b8a7ae8a.png

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

This is a tool for quickly assessing DACs and ADCs in a loop-back configuration. Sample rate, etc. are all up to the device and are selectable. The capture I posted was at 96kHz.

No, the signal is not static. And not averaged. One FFT-size worth of samples is collected and processed. And, of course, the frequency domain and the time domain are interchangeably representing the same exact data. Here's that multi-tone signal, zoomed-in in the time domain:

image.thumb.png.9928fbaab5e3426d8be1f080b8a7ae8a.png

Name of the tool?

6 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Have you seen this ?

Fairly reasonable. I’d add that all the routers on the way from the server to your house are incredibly high quality. The probably run at 100Gbs and if jitter were additive, the whole internet would self destruct because the end to end jitter tolerance is 60 femtoseconds — so basically every single switch “Regens” the Ethernet signal ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Currently Multi-tone Loopback Analyzer, but since I'm writing it, I'll probably come up with another name before I publish it :)

In that case I wouldn't be able to find out if it is static or dynamic till I can try to see what it really does.

But I'll say this, Fft by itself is going to window things (you need to specify window length, overlap and stuff and there is always a trade off in that) and is not the correct way to capture or visualize transients. Fft works best only for steady signals (and preferrably LTI, so we are back into the loop). Edges are something you would have serious difficulty interpreting using Fft.

https://dsp.stackexchange.com/questions/62002/is-a-fourier-transform-a-sound-way-to-analyse-a-transient-signal

When I say transient response, this is one example

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/burst-response-hd800-sr-207-hd650.3688/

it is not the end all be all, but a good starting point. Look at how the output begins and stabilizes and different headphones taking different time to settle. Again we are looking at all these through the mics transient response and ADC filter/non linearities, so to capture even more precision we'd need even more complex input and complicated analysers/mics. (Someone donate me a Neumann ku100 or b&k please 🤪)

And if you're still confused, you're probably not an ee student. I'd recommend you to start reading about ac transient and steady state analysis.

41 minutes ago, manueljenkin said:

In that case I wouldn't be able to find out if it is static or dynamic till I can try to see what it really does.

But I'll say this, Fft by itself is going to window things (you need to specify window length, overlap and stuff and there is always a trade off in that) and is not the correct way to capture or visualize transients. Fft works best only for steady signals (and preferrably LTI, so we are back into the loop). Edges are something you would have serious difficulty interpreting using Fft.

https://dsp.stackexchange.com/questions/62002/is-a-fourier-transform-a-sound-way-to-analyse-a-transient-signal

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/burst-response-hd800-sr-207-hd650.3688/

it is not the end all be all, but a good starting point. Look at how the output begins and stabilizes and different headphones taking different time to settle. Again we are looking at all these through the mics transient response and ADC filter/non linearities, so to capture even more precision we'd need even more complex input and complicated analysers/mics. (Someone donate me a Neumann ku100 or b&k please 🤪)

And if you're still confused, you're probably not an ee student. I'd recommend you to start reading about ac transient and steady state analysis.

Let's just say I know a little bit about DSP and signal processing, having been working in this space (audio and image processing) since the early 90's. So, no, to answer your question I'm not confused.

3 hours ago, manueljenkin said:

Do you understand what you posted regarding what the limitations of Fourier transform might or might not be with regard to transients?

I wouldn't look to stackexchange as authoritative but Fourier transforms including limitations are very well known and described.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 minutes ago, the_bat said:

I know it's a short time sample but has anyone else noticed that this thread is responsible for 98% of the postings in Objective-fi this month?

lol - better to be roasted than ignored = no publicity is bad publicity etc

18 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I think it is probably driving sales too! x-D 

(Seriously, one would think that the current sad world situation would depress the audiophile market, but we are busier than ever. I guess people are staying home and practicing what my wife calls "retail therapy.")

Well, as tempted as I am, you or anybody else won't be getting any discretionary spending out of me anytime soon. Sadly, an overseas ad agency who has licensed an image in the five figures, contract signed and invoice sent, has suddenly decided to not reply to any of my emails, even though I let them know I don't care if the news is good or bad (perhaps the client isn't paying them). Crazy times we live in. :(

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

I think it is probably driving sales too! x-D 

(Seriously, one would think that the current sad world situation would depress the audiophile market, but we are busier than ever. I guess people are staying home and practicing what my wife calls "retail therapy.")

Don't worry, ASR's review still has 2nd placement in Google search.

1 hour ago, plissken said:
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I must say, the amount of posts being reported as being against the objective-fi rules is astounding. However, the objectivists aren't reporting their own fellow objectivists. 

Ah. That's just a function of the Exodus.

Does that suggest the objective objectivists have exited 😉 ?

Personally, so long as snark and agenda is gone I am happy for some S/O gray zone.

IMO objective people (including some in this thread who are objective) would be looking to constructively assist Uptone Audio in their measurements, not be adversarial. IMO the (objective) truth will not flow easily

Sound Minds Mind Sound