IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN (Objective Discussion Only)

5 hours ago, cat6man said:

and to follow up on superdad's comment above, does the ASR's a/d converter really have a 600ns jitter spec and, if so, does that invalidate the ASR measurements of jitter? 

If you want to learn more have a look at this short informative video.

9 hours ago, jabbr said:

@JohnSwenson: I read your white paper.

You have identified the well known nonlinearity as described by Rubiola whereby power supply noise at eg 10Hz causes a frequency offset error in a crystal at f +|- 10Hz. 

Ok that’s all correct, however:

There is not a well identified inverse nonlinearity whereby phase error an an input f +|- 10 Hz is downconverted to ground plane noise at 10Hz. 

If there is switching noise from a gigahertz input Ethernet signal, it will cluster at a gigahertz. 

On the other hand common mode noise transmission down a cable could cause 10Hz (or 60Hz) noise in a receiver. 

There is no known mechanism to say that 10Hz noise transmission by a gigahertz Ethernet cable has anything to do with Ethernet clock jitter as opposed to common mode noise..

I spoke to John a while back and he mentioned someone had done some research into all this. Not sure if it was Rubiola or not.  

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

We mixing up what is being tested: there is no one type of jitter and no single way of testing it. The above discussion regards jitter on an SPDIF interface and no question that topic is of interest to DACs.

Regarding the EtherREGEN, the jitter being discussed, and which @JohnSwenson discusses in the whitepaper, is jitter on the Ethernet interface: These are drastically different things!

Let's start with a few questions:

1) Does common mode or differential mode noise  on an Ethernet interface affect the downstream DAC, i.e. does it pass through one of the Rendu devices? 

2) Does jitter/phase noise in the Ethernet clock itself affect the DAC?

1) There is a clearcut electrical mechanism whereby common mode noise causes ground plane noise (e.g. leakage currents) and this affects audio circuits -- eg ground loops. I will buy a measurement of reduced ground plane noise with the EtherREGEN compared to xxx switch as indeed reduction in common mode noise.

2) There is not a clearcut mechanism whereby Ethernet clock jitter causes significant ground plane noise in the audio spectrum. I don't buy, without substantial additional testing, that a reduction in ground plane noise in a DAC results solely from reduction in Ethernet clock jitter.

The AP device is not, to my knowledge, capable of measuring Ethernet clock jitter -- can it create a 1 Gbe eye pattern?

Have you measured the jitter/eye pattern on the opticalModule? (obviously this will block common mode noise ;) ) I'm going to assume the AP is not capable of measuring this.

Come on...you know the answers to these questions. In regards to the Rendu John advised me that he would use one in the measurement because of it's design. I'll ask John to explain why he is using a Rendu so you guys know his reasoning. My AP does not measure eye patterns. AP don't seem all that interested in USB and Ethernet.