IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN (Objective Discussion Only)

5 hours ago, opus101 said:

I read that - what's missing for me is the mechanism by which the groundplane noise gets to affect the clock. If the designers put the clock itself on the same groundplane as the rest of the logic I can see how it would matter but designers who're aware of this issue would likely use a separate groundplane (island) for such sensitive circuits as an oscillator.

JS is certainly correct that ground plane noise affects crystal oscillators. This is a very interesting issue. 

There is a nonlinearity whereby noise at f causes f frequency offset phase noise. 

ie noise at 1Hz causes phase error f +|- 1 Hz and 10 Hz causes phase error f +|- 10 Hz ... this is described in Rubiola’s textbook: https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/phase-noise-and-frequency-stability-in-oscillators/445C12C4ECBFCD7765116E61561EC0FE

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

25 minutes ago, Jud said:

I would be interested in exploring whether there is any objectively measurable reason behind my listening preference for the ER vs. Cisco 2960, and for the ER by itself vs. the 2960 followed by the ER. While the "bog standard" SMPSs may not cause jitter or noise over Ethernet, I wonder what they may do wrt noise running over system component ground planes.

I don’t have a Cisco 2960 but presumably JS could test this against the EtherREGEN and show us if the DAC clock has less jitter. 

There are SMPS and there are SMPS ... I’m saying that the Mellanox SMPS obviously causes <60 femtosecond jitter in the 100Gbe switch ... and they are at 400Gbe so imagine how low jitter those systems are and yet still powered by SMPS ;) 

3 hours ago, Jud said:

While the "bog standard" SMPSs may not cause jitter or noise over Ethernet, I wonder what they may do wrt noise running over system component ground planes.

You can also measure the spectrum of noise on the ground plane — this is easier but use a spectrum analyzer that can do sub-Hz measurements. eg 0- 10kHz or so ....

Thats a simple measurement with the right analyzer.

7 hours ago, cat6man said:

wish i had a 100Gbe switch  :)

learning Sonic — Linux for switches ;) 

is there a similar jitter spec that 1Gb and 100Mb switches must meet?

Not really, the 10GBase-X specs were the first to define end to end conformance testing (using eye patterns) which means everyone needs to play nice together — obviously if jitter were additive, then serial hops would blow the eye pattern — thankfully the Internet works ;) 

Again there is a role for EtherREGEN as a high quality slow Ethernet switch. If anything avoiding common mode noise may be more important that jitter — lets see!

does anyone know what typical Fios router/switches have for jitter?

and to follow up on superdad's comment above, does the ASR's a/d converter really have a 600ns jitter spec and, if so, does that invalidate the ASR measurements of jitter? 

There are different ways to measure jitter — eg  looking for pure tone widening , but again I’d simply look at the ground plane noise spectrum because if the switch doesn’t dump noise on the receiver ground plane hen the argument is moot, or if it does then whether by reducing common mode noise or jitter is subject to further measurements. 

@JohnSwenson: I read your white paper.

You have identified the well known nonlinearity as described by Rubiola whereby power supply noise at eg 10Hz causes a frequency offset error in a crystal at f +|- 10Hz. 

Ok that’s all correct, however:

There is not a well identified inverse nonlinearity whereby phase error an an input f +|- 10 Hz is downconverted to ground plane noise at 10Hz. 

If there is switching noise from a gigahertz input Ethernet signal, it will cluster at a gigahertz. 

On the other hand common mode noise transmission down a cable could cause 10Hz (or 60Hz) noise in a receiver. 

There is no known mechanism to say that 10Hz noise transmission by a gigahertz Ethernet cable has anything to do with Ethernet clock jitter as opposed to common mode noise..

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Come on...you know the answers to these questions. In regards to the Rendu John advised me that he would use one in the measurement because of it's design. I'll ask John to explain why he is using a Rendu so you guys know his reasoning. My AP does not measure eye patterns. AP don't seem all that interested in USB and Ethernet.  

Of course, and I’ve said that the AP is not appropriate to test the Ether REGEN’s jitter — it’s not designed to do so, regardless of the fact it can analyze SPDIF .

Now the j-test is a reasonable way to test the output of a DAC and the AP is reported to be excellent audio analyzer. 

That said the specific claims about how jitter on the Ethernet network affect the DAC make specific predictions regarding appropriate measurements. Let’s see them. 

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I spoke to John a while back and he mentioned someone had done some research into all this. Not sure if it was Rubiola or not.  

Rubiola has published papers (with co-authors) and written a textbook (which I have). The effect of power supply noise on crystal oscillator phase noise is well described. 1/f noise causes 1/f-offset phase noise. The inverse has not been described. 

I am willing to look at relevant measurements and if @JohnSwenson can demonstrate 1/f-offset phase noise resulting in 1/f noise on the receiver ground plane then I will gladly accept his argument. That’s an eminently testable statement — I’d use fiberoptic Ethernet to eliminate the confounding common mode noise variable. 

4 minutes ago, opus101 said:

What is it that makes the groundplane noise at the receiver relevant? Can't we just check at the output of the DAC (I'm assuming here we do have sensitive enough measurements for low-frequency noise)?

The proposed mechanism specifically predicts noise on the ground plane.

Ive given a very specific measurement result which would convince me, do you have a different one? What and why?

30 minutes ago, opus101 said:

So what is it that makes this mechanism - even if shown to be active in practice - relevant in the bigger picture?

the 1/f -> 1/f offset is known, if the inverse were the case (no evidence that it is) then there was s a mechanism whereby a “jitter signature” could pass through a switch. 

My hardware is certified that this is irrelevant — either nonexistent or insignificant, but 1G or 100m hardware is not required to meet end to end jitter standards. 

The entire argument that server noise makes it across the Network depends either on this or common mode noise transmission. 

18 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

As I see it, whether at the receiver or output of the DAC, ultimately one must then demonstrate its correlation/concordance with audibility. First things first and that is to demonstrate an objective measurable phenomenon related to signal integrity that might be relevant. Yes, you can argue that a change in one part of the signal path may be more convincing than another but discoveries are often a matter of piecing together many parts of a puzzle.

Marketing is about telling a story, and this story has resonated at AS for years. Whether the proposed effect is audible depends on whether it actually exists in the physical world. If it doesn’t exist then we can look for another story. If the effect exists but it’s not audible then it might be audible in other circumstances. My bias is that this is all about common mode noise rather than jitter, so let’s see if my story is more relevant (I’m not selling anything though 😂)

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ethernet is not jitter-free. Fact. You can't weasel your way around that.

Yes we should qualify our statements because nothing (sic) in the real world is ever jitter free or noise free or perfect or true or false.

What we can say is that jitter is not additive across modern ethernet interfaces and jitter signatures do not pass across modern ethernet interfaces. That's true for modern ethernet interfaces which are tested compliant with modern ethernet standards. Let me be very specific here, if the Ethernet interface jitter in a stressed eye pattern test were additive, the interface would fail the test. Asked and answered.

The EtherREGEN is not compliant with these modern standards (I assume the testing has not been done, and these standards are 10GBase-X, 40GBase-X, 100Gbase-X 200, 400...), yet legacy ethernet is in common usage among home audio equipment. It indeed serves a niche for home audio networks and equipment using legacy protocols.

@Jud its great that having a special switch is making you happy! The best thing about all this it that the nonsense about a direct PC to endpoint/DAC connection and using the PC as a router is something we are hearing less about.

For folks who aren't inclined to get involved with networking hardware (not saying you), its great to have a pre-packaged "audiophile" solution. If this switch is complementary to the microRendu, then its seen as an all in one solution. In the same way the branding of the "systemOptique" with cables and preselected SFDP switches makes it easy for folks to plug and play.

(this is a non objectivist offtopic post, sorry)

18 hours ago, alfe said:

My apologies Alex for my poor joke. 

That was actually very funny. I don't think @Superdad should take offense to that, I mean in all seriousness, the thesis is that jitter infects audio systems and is transmitted from component to component. 

3 hours ago, Seraph said:

So what is it, do you know what makes the device technically superior to any other 20 times more affordable switches

I think it should be obvious that switch cost is not an important factor here!

No one has shown evidence that the EtherREGEN isn't a perfectly capable low port count 100m/1g level 2 switch.

There are, objectively, many audiophiles who are looking for devices designed for audiophiles whether or not such devices have measurements. We have evidence of many audiophile products which are successful despite measurements. I think that its probably that some consumer devices including "cheap" generic Ethernet switches, might emit common mode noise, this has certainly been measured for the very cheapest wall wart SMPS power supplies. So if you factor a small run design tailored at reducing noise as well as an audiophile multiplier, the cost is reasonable.

You know it might be like the sofa I'm sitting on right now. Its not measurably better than many other sofas nor is it the cheapest sofa.