IGNORED

Article: UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Review and Comparison

• 1 month later...

As others have said, great review! 

My current config is 

Router > switch > A:etherregen:B > innuos server+streamer(roon server) > ethernet & USB > Auralic G2 DAC

I wanted to try an opticalrendu in the chain. I was thinking ….

Router > switch > innuos > B:etherregen:A > fibre > opticalrendu > USB > Auralic G2 DAC

Am I right in thinking the streamer is on the wrong side of the moat if attached to the switch? 

I was trying to avoid the need for the opticalmodule, and use the optical port on etherregen, but I think I may be missing something.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

A

50 minutes ago, AnAndGate said:

Router > switch > innuos > B:etherregen:A > fibre > opticalrendu > USB > Auralic G2 DAC

This is the correct and I suppose the only way to use etherRegen and the opticalrendu together. 

However @austinpop

It is my understanding that one, or in this case two opticalModules may raise SQ. (Or at least one FMC before the OM unless your router or switch upfront has SFP interface).  Is this assumption correct ?

I myself have both etherRegen, opticalrendu as well as an unused optical module laying around. (And FMC’s available). 

What is best practice these days regarding SFP (I think it’s either StarTech or FS), and is single mode now preferred over multimode ? 

(Link SFP is nice). 

20 hours ago, austinpop said:

Thanks!

Just to be clear, two questions:

1. are you trying to introduce fiber in the mix, or are you trying to go to a distributed configuration (server/endpoint), or both? 
  2. which Innuos server are we talking about here? 

The general answer is to try all the options and go with what sounds best to your ears. Given the already excellent SQ of the higher-end Innuos servers like the ZENith Mk3 or Mk2 SE, I would be surprised if adding an opticalRendu would advance your SQ. Rather, I would suggest you apply those funds to an opticalModule instead, powered by a good quality LPS, and use it as follows:

• Router > (copper) > opticalModule > (fiber) > A:etherregen:B > (copper) innuos server+streamer(roon server) > ethernet & USB > Auralic G2 DAC

You'll need 2 transceivers: one on the oM and one on the eR. See below.

I have let others do the exploring, :) and then tried the ones that have shown promise. I've just stuck with single mode - have not compared with multimode - and have tried the oft-mentioned Startech, Planet, and Finisar transceivers. I know many like the Finisar's the best. In my system, they're very close to the Planet Tech, and I ultimately prefer the Planet Tech for now. These are cheap enough to just get both and try for yourself.

I was trying to experiment with fibre (or fiber!).  I have a Zenith MkII SE, so the topology you suggest should allow me to play.

Thanks for the tip

On 3/14/2020 at 2:04 AM, feelingears said:

I so appreciate the diagrams–better than pictures alone, and leagues ahead of video. And the playlist, too. Thank you again, @austinpop!

Any suggestion for a software or Android application intuitive and simple to use to create such network diagrammes ? 

• 1 month later...

A word of caution regarding the Melco S-100.

I am running Roon on a Wolf Audio Alpha 3SX to an S-100 and then on to a dCS Rossini Player.   I have repeatedly experienced the dreaded "audio files loading slowly" message when I tried to use a 100mb port on the S-100 for my Hi-Res and DSD streams from my music server to my dCS Rossini.  On the other hand, using a 1gb port on the S-100 worked fine. I have been advised by MELCO that there is not enough "headroom" on the 100MB ports to run Hi-Res and DSD streams through the 100MB ports. Furthermore, MELCO advises that it is not possible to change the 100mb ports to 1GB ports.

Thus, if one wants to play Hi-Res and DSD streams, one will not be able to take advantage of the higher sound quality advertised by Melco from the S-100's 100mb ports.  In addition, one may have more than four devices that need to connect to the four 1gb ports on S-100.  These limitations are not reported by Melco, which is lamentable.

Finally, you may have seen reports of an optional fiber optics converter (the "OP S-100") for the S-100.  I have been told by a MELCO dealer that the MELCO OP S-100 is only available in Japan.

FWIW, I have always used the 100MB ports on the S100 without any issues of audio files loading slowly or network drop outs.  The large majority of my content is 96-24, 192-24, and DSD.  In fact, the only time I experienced connectivity issues was prior to the S100 when the ER was in my system.  While I most definitely am not challenging your experience or what you were told my Melco, based on my own experience with various switches, I believe the problem is network and system dependent.

1 hour ago, Wine Doctor said:

Thus, if one wants to play Hi-Res and DSD streams, one will not be able to take advantage of the higher sound quality advertised by Melco from the S-100's 100mb ports.  In addition, one may have more than four devices that need to connect to the four 1gb ports on S-100.  These limitations are not reported by Melco, which is lamentable.

This seems rather off-topic in relation to the EtherREGEN review here.  

But since you bring it up, I can tell you that I--and many other EtherREGEN owners--are able to play DSD512 across the EtherREGEN's moat. ('A'side ports are all Gigabit-capable, 'B' side port is 100Mbps only.) Just sayin'...9_9

On 7/11/2020 at 2:03 PM, AnAndGate said:

I was trying to experiment with fibre (or fiber!).  I have a Zenith MkII SE, so the topology you suggest should allow me to play.

Thanks for the tip

I like the addition of fibre in the chain with the Sonore OM to etherregen. Really opened up the soundstage, mid range bass. 

Router > (copper) > opticalModule > (fiber) > A:etherregen:B > (copper) innuos server+streamer(roon server) > ethernet & USB > Auralic G2 DAC

Re-read the review the other day and tripped into the rabbit hole; now I want to experiment chaining switches if I can get my hands on a Melco S100. The problem is the multitude of combinations I can try with OM, etherregen, S100, fiber and copper!!  Here are my main options :-

# fibre isolation first , then chain switches...

1 Router > (copper) > opticalModule > (fiber) > A:etherregen:B > (copper) > S100> (copper) Innuos...

# or replace OM...

2 Router > (copper) > S100 > (fiber) > A:etherregen:B > (copper)  Innuos...

# or put S100 in front of etherregen...

3 Router > (copper) > opticalModule > (fiber) > S100> (copper) >A:etherregen:B > (copper) Innuos...

# x2 fiber...

4 Router > (copper) > opticalModule > (fiber) > S100> (fiber) >A:etherregen:B > (copper) Innuos...

(I could go on)

Any recommendations to particular topology and why? Or a ladder to get out of the hole.

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, MHar said:

Will the presence of a NetGear GS-108 switch upstream from the EtherRegen benefit from the "2-switch" synergy or is it too low end to matter?

Probably will not help.  And from some reports I have seen, putting a cheap extra switch before the EtherREGEN might be slightly worse.  But no harm, and little cost, in experimenting! :D