IGNORED

Article: UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Review and Comparison

Really a superb review, Rajiv, thank you. I completed a review for The Absolute Sound in January that was notably shorter, so I know just how much work writing a review as comprehensive as this actually is from first-hand experience.

Just a question for you: where did you get the Startech SFP1000ZXST 1550nm/80km transceiver and where you get the 10 dB attenuators, and how do you use them in conjunction with the optical transceivers? 

Thanks again for a great review.

-Stephen

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

Look forward to reading your review.

I got them from Amazon, but the pricing seems to fluctuate: 

Hi Rajev,

My articles will be in the May/June issues of TAS. One on the Gold Note PH-10 and one on streaming using optical fiber. 

Thanks for the information on the optical transceivers. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

13 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I appreciate the kind words, Rajiv.  My experiments continued and I have actually moved on from the Startech FMCs.  I’m now using the Planet Technology SFPs without attenuators as listed here.  My upstream FMC is now the opticalModule and downstream it’s the ER. Clarity and focus improved with the Planet Tech SFPs - I think partly due to them not needing attenuators.  The OM also offered a nice improvement over the Startech FMC.  I can honestly say that I am done as far as trying different SFPs. The next step for me will be to get better power supplies for both the ER and OM.  Rajiv it was really helpful that you provided observations on the use of different power supplies with the ER.  I’ll probably go with the Farad for the ER.  

Thanks for the info, Kenny! 

10 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

This is really good advice - advice that I should actually follow.  In my case the two noise generators are my Innuos server and Hugo M-Scaler.  My OPTO-DX provides me with the ability to place these I think up to 5m away from the rest of my gear using an optical connection.  One of these days.

Yep, it really makes a difference. A difference that is audible. Back in 2016 when Chris was accurately espousing the virtues of the Sonore microRendu, as soon as I got one and placed my Mac Mini in the bedroom/study 40 feet away, the audible benefits are clear. If you can run fiber, this will make moving your Innuous that much easier and more feasible.