IGNORED

Article: UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Review and Comparison

Rajiv, a fine review, thorough would be an understatement!

One point to clarify, you placed the SQ of the EtherRegen and S100 as being very close.  Am I correct that this was with the EtherRegen using the REF10’s reference clock, and the S100 necessarily using its own clock?  I think I have this right, but I’m not completely sure. 

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

11 hours ago, k-man said:

I've sussed why Taiko Extreme users are avoiding the B moat

This puzzles me, can you explain?  Maybe it is not an easy one to explain, but I am intrigued.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

For a case using the Stylus “Buffer queue to RAM” feature, the review states the following:

Even with no music data flowing in the buffered case, the switch still makes a difference. Moreover, the magnitude of the difference wasn’t significantly greater in the Roon Server case.

This finding - of the switch making a positive impact on SQ even when no music data is flowing through it - also held when I compared the eR with its competitor switches. 

I do not wish to challenge Rajiv's observations here, if this is what he has observed and heard then he is correct to report.  What I am wondering is what the likely mechanism is here?  Has anyone come up with a theory that covers this scenario?