IGNORED

#FutureFi -- The Clock is Ticking

http://lanspeaker.com

As I am learning the Dutch and Dutch 8c, I was unable to find any documentation of what the control software looks like before I got the speakers, so here is a little video. 

--------------------------------
So here is a little annotation on the video. 

From the web-app, you can see the speakers on your network and any groups you have created. I have created a group called "LR" for Living Room.  

From the group, you can control the volume of the group, you can mute with the speaker icon, or you can turn off the low base stuff by clicking on the moon icon, so you do not rattle the neighbor's wall behind your speakers!

There is a sleep/on and input selection next to the volume up and down buttons

In the upper left is the settings gear that lets you change things like bass and treble, etc.

The settings for each speaker are more extensive, with setting for boundary control and much more.

Much more Later!

Bob

27 minutes ago, mitchco said:

@bobfa check out my review that includes adjusting Active Room Matching and PEQ's. I hope you are enjoying them!

The 8c. Speakers are really enjoyable.  They have a different feel from the Kii Three system.  I am not ready to articulate it yet.  One album I listened to yesterday day wasGeorge Winston Plains.  I felt and heard things there that I do not remember hearing before.   They do not have a lot of time on them yet, I am not sure about break-in needs.

I have re-read your Kii and D&D articles and I bought your book a while back.  This is fun learning.  I sent you a PM about an idea I have!

Bob

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Really looking forward to your findings!

I have a friend in Naperville who’s considering Dali’s Rubicon 8C active system, although I’ve pointed him at Mitch’s reviews of Dutch & Dutch and Kii.

He and I heard Dali’s lower priced Callisto 6C system at AXPONA last year, and were very impressed. Maybe surprisingly, I was underwhelmed by the Kii’s when I heard them at Munich High End. But you know how show environments are. 🙄

I’m curious how far beyond the Dali the D&D goes in SQ. Hard to say, I know.

I feel very fortunate to be able to actually do this testing! I am at the point where I am learning what the D&D 8c. sound like.  As you know you have to un-learn so you can learn.  I have set the Kii's in the other room for now.  I hope to accomplish a couple of things here pretty quickly.  First is to establish a baseline in my head for the 8c. system then do the room correction DSP with the help if @mitchco.  Then replicate that same set of tests with the Kii's. 

I have listened to the Kii's at and audio show and believe me they are capable of much more with the right things around them.  Power has been critical.  I now feed them with two power cords per side.  One to the speaker and one to the BXT.  Rather enlightening.   There is more.  

Over this last week as the 8c.'s settle in and my brain adapts they are very impressive, there is something very special in there.  I went back and re-read all the reviews I could find and there is very little directcomparison between them.  Reading @mitchco reviews again was informative and helped drive me down this path. 

I have no way to test the Dali.  I have no idea.  I did not know that Dali was "activating" the 8 series.  I see they have done the 6 series..  All well.  I cannot test them all.  

Bob

As I am working from home, which is normal for my business, I take time to go listen to music, etc.  After about two weeks of listening to the Dutch and Dutch 8c.'s I moved the Kii Three's back into the living room for this next round of listening.

Both of these systems are phenomenal, how do I describe them?

The Kii Three’s are a perfect Martini, and the 8c.’s are a Manhattan!  The Kii’s are clean and crisp where the D&D are robust and full of flavor!  I love both!  I wonder what Musical Parings are perfect for each system?

I found a quote yesterday while studying some of  Siegfried Linkwitz's work that seems to fit what I am trying to discover:

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself 

but what has drawn your attention

in the streams of superimposed air pressure variations 

at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Have they been recorded and rendered sensibly?

Siegfried Linkwitz

I could add more to Siegfried's statement above, but it is best to just let it stand and settle in!

Bob

Here is the first set of curves for the Kii Three's Plus BXT.  @mitchco asked me if I was using Subwoofers for this, no this is the BXT.  There is a lot of signal down way low.

2105515998_BobtopmeasurementbottomcorrectionKiifr.thumb.jpg.7bc0f94847564e5b7d7a822d3e3ce56d.jpg

1849403447_BobtimingresponseKiiTHREE.thumb.JPG.56c2ad4f95c689e6ce60ad7937f7adae.JPG

You can see the differences between the two speaker system in the graphs from a couple of days ago.  When I look at the Frequency Response graph I wonder if I need to adjust my boundary controls a bit.

So the filter is loaded up in Roon.  I will try to get some listening time this evening!  And continue reading @mitchco's book!

Mitch also made a second filter that extends the range down to where the speakers are working in the room.  There is a good response of the BXT in the room down to 13hz.

716130928_BobtopmeasurementbottomcorrectionKiiextendedfr.thumb.jpg.8c1982e3c5be8c07488ae1db672167fc.jpg

2012720625_BobtimingresponseKiiTHREEextended.thumb.jpg.7dc3d46244732e18430776fbf03b1e63.jpg

I am really happy with the results.  Lots more listening to do.

Bob

This morning I finally figured out why I could not make accurate-LSR run to balance the location of my test microphone.  The USB devices have to be plugged into the laptop before it boots up so ASIO4ALL works right???

IMG_1085.thumb.jpeg.f8983ebfc0906b19380df526dceefd9f.jpeg

So following instructions now and I got the mic centered, and I took another measurement.  Then @mitchco built an updated filter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am working through a set of comparisons I have tried my Mac Mini and my NUC with Euphony.  It was a bit of a step back in time.  They both sound good,.... BUT the Antipodes CX+EX just kicks them out of the system!    I am looking to reduce complexity and cost.  

I also wanted to really give the 8c’s their due respect for listening.  I am going to have to work with @mitchco on another set filters for them.    

I have way too much hardware here.  Time for a sale!  K

• 1 month later...

So here is the June update.  I have boxed up the 8C's and all of the Antipodes gear.  The KII Threes and the BXTs are back running.  I am running a set of server experiments with some rather interesting successes.  Under test right now is an ASUS Crosshair VII Hero motherboard (X470) with a Ryzen 7300x processor.  I have move the Apacer RAM and the Optane drive from my Xeon to this hardware.  I am back experimenting again and enjoying it.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

So bottom line you decided the system with the BXT sounded best, or was there another reason? Andyou are running direct from the server to the Kii Control?

There are several things at play here.  First, I was setting my self up to be an audio dealer out of my home.  That is not going to work now.  Economy and health will not allow for “random” people in my home for extended listening.  

Second I am an experimenter at heart.  I want to learn and so the Antipodes gear was filling the best in class demo not experimenting.

The Kii’s let me experiment a lot with all the inputs, etc.  They also fit into the room visually better.  The Kii’s have an precision of presentation that I really like.  So yes they sound better.  They are also twice $$ of the 8C’s.   I have not 

In my testing right now.  I am using the SOtM PCIe USBext interface to a SOtM TXUSB Ultra to the Kii’s. I am using Euphony Audio software in both Roon+StylusEP and Stylus.  The main variable at the moment is changing Motherboards and CPU’s.   I have a whole thread going on my server testing.  (Oh using two HDPLEX Supplies, and an opticalmodule)

I have to go make a pretty picture of my system like @austinpop does.  I also want to thank @Nenon for the ASUS x470 and AMD suggestions.  The Xeon board and CPU I picked sounded really good, this sounds better!  I am thinking it is mostly the cores!