IGNORED

NAS POLL - How much NAS do you need in times of streaming???

!!! THIS IS A NAS POLL !!!! Thanx in advance for your participation ! It's public - Pls pm me, if that's a problem!  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Suggested edit.

Yes!

and let me reiterate that a NAS is no more than a box that holds drives, has a network connection, and runs an operating system. 

my NAS runs Ubuntu Linux. The included ZFS file system handles RAID/mirroring, RAM cache etc. ZFS was developed by Sun Microsystems now Oracle to run their bulletproof big iron NAS devices. It’s free, and well tested.

Using 100GBe fiberoptic Ethernet, my upstairs workstation can access its storage in the basement faster than a local drive.

The biggest reason to have a NAS is so that you don’t worry where your files are, which machine they are on — it’s a private cloud for your house. I have >20 year old files that have been migrated from NAS to NAS.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Yes!

and let me reiterate that a NAS is no more than a box that holds drives, has a network connection, and runs an operating system

Hi,

this is correct as long as we talk about a NAS in the etablished technical fashion.
However, uitilzing the modern multicore technololgies and advanced software for NAS systems, i.e. UNRAID, they do allow the user to have the machine running other tasks, too.
For instance Virtual Machines (WS2016 does that as well) and Dockers for ROON, PLEX or Minimserver.
The "audiophile NAS" devices may include services like streaming, finding covers and correct tagging via handheld or desktop device.
The NAS side has become one option of many, you may see that as well with SYNOLOGY devices, which looks like go-to-brand for most music lovers.
best, DT

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

However, uitilzing the modern multicore technololgies and advanced software for NAS systems, i.e. UNRAID, they do allow the user to have the machine running other tasks, too.
For instance Virtual Machines (WS2016 does that as well) and Dockers for ROON, PLEX or Minimserver.

To be clear Ubuntu/Debian and other free Linux distros certainly support docker, virtual box etc

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Under 5. ; "Other reasons/answers are welcome ...."

I currently have a Synology DS412+ NAS. With RAID about 12 TB of the installed 16 TB is available. My music library is ~2TB (103k tracks) and is certainly growing more slowly than in the past, however I'm in the process of moving from storing home videos in (poor) DVD quality to streaming files (HD quality) so I'm looking at replacing the 412+ with a later model having a more powerful cpu (918+?) and larger storage (some SSD). This will enable streaming of HD video and should improve the response time for serving music (Minimserver running on the NAS cpu).

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

My NAS wasn't listed in the options so I didn't vote. I'm running an iXSystems NAS that isn't an "Audiophile" NAS.....its just a NAS. It uses FreeBSD for the OS and a ZFS File system.

It works beautifully in any NAS like scenario and is very speedy. Not the cheapest option out there by any means but probably one of the best IMO. The hardware includes 32gb of RAM and a processor that escapes me at the moment but speed is a non-issue.

My library is probably on the smaller side with just over 1200 albums and 15K tracks. The rest is my personal data all of which is under 2TB. If the need arises, I can pull hard drives and replace them with larger units to expand but I suspect it will be quite a while before I have such a need.

• 2 months later...

I have the Synology DS1819+ 8-bay drive with 8x10TB. It holds all my music (31000 albums give or take, including many Hi-Res and DSD/DSF), all my video files (sizeable movie library) and all my photos. I run Roon on a fanless NUC, freeing up the NAS to do only storage related tasks.

I migrated from an older Synology DS1513+ with 5 bays and wanted to make sure I would need to migrate again in the foreseeable future :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 5:03 PM, rhmmmm said:

I have an HS-453DX, Fanless and works great. Running Roon and can stream to the 5 endpoints in my house in group mode, all in sync. Two 12TB drives in it in RAID-0. I back up to another QNAP NAS which is in RAID 5 and has 4 8TB Drives. 

Hello,

What is the size of your library?

I am considering this NAS too, as it is fanlass and would fit in my listening room.

At the moment I have the Qnap TS-453Be in a different room and it is getting quite slow with my 5000+ Albums.

It was Ok until about 4000 albums, it has an Intel® Celeron® J3455 quad-core 1.5GHz, 8Gb RAM.

The Roon core is installed on one of the 4 HDD's, I haven't installed the optional PCIe card for M.2 SSD.

The HS-453DX has two M.2 2280 SATA SSD slots, I guess installing the Roon core on one of those would be better...?

• 1 year later...

I've collecting digital music for almost 20 years. At last count I have 150k music files, 400 cd's and 85 SACD\DVDA discs. I store the files on a used 20Tb QNAP TS-419+. I backup that to a used 8Tb QNAP TS-412 and a couple of WD MyCloud soho drives. Starting 2 years ago, I added a 3rd layer of redundancy by uploading from secondary backup to my unlimited Google Drive. 16Tb in my personal cloud as of now.

I preserve the integrity of my QNAP Raid 5 by always having a new replacement drive(s) stored near by (I haven't lost a disk since I instituted this piece of technical "magic")