IGNORED

NAS POLL - How much NAS do you need in times of streaming???

!!! THIS IS A NAS POLL !!!! Thanx in advance for your participation ! It's public - Pls pm me, if that's a problem!  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Suggested edit.

Yes!

and let me reiterate that a NAS is no more than a box that holds drives, has a network connection, and runs an operating system. 

my NAS runs Ubuntu Linux. The included ZFS file system handles RAID/mirroring, RAM cache etc. ZFS was developed by Sun Microsystems now Oracle to run their bulletproof big iron NAS devices. It’s free, and well tested.

Using 100GBe fiberoptic Ethernet, my upstairs workstation can access its storage in the basement faster than a local drive.

The biggest reason to have a NAS is so that you don’t worry where your files are, which machine they are on — it’s a private cloud for your house. I have >20 year old files that have been migrated from NAS to NAS.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

However, uitilzing the modern multicore technololgies and advanced software for NAS systems, i.e. UNRAID, they do allow the user to have the machine running other tasks, too.
For instance Virtual Machines (WS2016 does that as well) and Dockers for ROON, PLEX or Minimserver.

To be clear Ubuntu/Debian and other free Linux distros certainly support docker, virtual box etc

Custom room treatments for headphone users.