IGNORED

NAS POLL - How much NAS do you need in times of streaming???

!!! THIS IS A NAS POLL !!!! Thanx in advance for your participation ! It's public - Pls pm me, if that's a problem!  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have approximately 1100 albums stored on my Synology NAS and they occupy less than half the capacity of my 2TB RAID drives. At the rate that I add new music, I can't see running out of capacity any time in the foreseeable future, if ever. I currently do not subscribe to a streaming service.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

Mille merci,

@Kal Rubinson and @Allan F

for giving some insight about the different directions we may  find in our music loving hobby.

I could imagine, that perhaps the format (i e. DSD or DXD) or possibly the accumulation of collector items are drivers for growth?

For instance, in a rationalized case, if you would listen to the 1100 album of Allan (which I would guess are mostly PCM) with a rate of 6h listening time per day, you could listen to them approximately just twice during the coming year, however you would need only 2 TB extra storage.
Best, Tom

Yes, the vast majority of my albums are Redbook PCM. I also currently have 85 DSD and 164 Hi Res PCM albums, but no DXD. At present, all playback is upsampled to DSD512 via HQPlayer.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

57 minutes ago, davide256 said:

wouldn't surprise me if some have NAS's backing up their primary NAS

My NAS is used solely for storage of my music library. I regularly update two separate backups on portable 2TB USB drives. My largest album is a classical recording of Chopin in DSDx2, which occupies just over 4GB.

34 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Because Raid6 is no back-up !!! 😉
I admire the execution of useful rules as you did. Just perfect!
Cheers, Tom

Of course your are correct about RAID not being backup. It is a very commonly held misconception that RAID provides backup. RAID provides redundancy, the ability to continue operating should a duplicate drive fail. Many people do not realize, for example, that if you were to accidentally delete files, they would be deleted on all duplicate drives. Moreover, while unlikely, a catastrophic failure of a NAS could potentially destroy the content of all drives in the array. External backup of a NAS is essential for proper security. Not to mention peace of mind. 🙂