IGNORED

Article: Airist Audio R-2R DAC Review

8 hours ago, blue2 said:

Excellent review. It's refreshing to read insightful comparison's even though the product didn't quite live up to expectations. These track detail notes are wonderful reference points for any component review.

Yep, Josh uses some of the same material for comparison across reviews. That gives the reader a basis for comparison. Definitely helpful. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks, Josh, well done.

I have a Bryston BDA-2. I've compared it to a McIntosh D100 and a Schitt BiFrost. The BDA-2 seemed to be the best to my ears, so I stuck with it. The funny thing is that even though I have continual upgrade-itus, the BDA-2 just keeps truckin' on. I know there are "better" out there that can handle much higher resolution, DSD, etc., but I continue to enjoy the sound. Someone ought to do an article about when the good you have is good enough. 

Again, well done!

John J

JJinPDX

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 2:41 PM, JJinPDX said:

Thanks, Josh, well done.

I have a Bryston BDA-2. I've compared it to a McIntosh D100 and a Schitt BiFrost. The BDA-2 seemed to be the best to my ears, so I stuck with it. The funny thing is that even though I have continual upgrade-itus, the BDA-2 just keeps truckin' on. I know there are "better" out there that can handle much higher resolution, DSD, etc., but I continue to enjoy the sound. Someone ought to do an article about when the good you have is good enough. 

Again, well done!

John J

I agree. I picked one up used at a good price just to see what it was like, fully prepared to flip it. But I was very impressed and hung onto it.

1 hour ago, EfeTe said:

Which multibit DAC would be your preferred one in the 1K - 1,500 region? Both my DACs are Sigma-Delta but willing to try another flavor too.

I'd aim for a used Holo Spring or a new Schiit "Yggdrasil GS" in that range. Finding a Spring in that range might take some patience, but the Yggy can be had now. The "GS" is essentially the Yggy V1 with upgraded USB and firmware at a steep discount. You won't be disappointed with either option, IMO.