IGNORED

Is the DAC module AK4497 a substantial/moderate upgrade to AK4493?

Hello,

Just found this site and quite happy that I did, and this is only from the first few days of reading posts which i've learned a lot from. I was directed here by searching for DSD playback on the AKM AK4497 and/or the ESS ES9038PRO DAC modules.

Short back story: I just purchased a DAC that has the ability to use either of these two modules and I decided to go with the AK4497 due to my current Benchmark DAC having a ESS module (if i remember corrrectly). It is a tube DAC which is going to be part of an all tube system (as many tube components I could find to put into a system). After some digging, I found that the ESS DACs have the DSD signal going through more processing than the AK4497. So, with staying as close to an all analog system as i can (I only listen to digital files), I decided to go with a module I have never lived with that travels a shorter digital path. The DAC is the Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 which looks to be as simple as can be for a DAC. No WiFi, bluetooth or anything else digital. This is part of the reason for my question below. If i don't like it's sound i can roll to the ESS module. For a bit more information that may help you guys help me: I use a laptop as my source, which is pulling the files from a portable drive bay with SSD drives. Music is played via Audirvana or HQ Player 4, which goes to the DAC...which is why i'm here.

Question: If it turns out that I like the AK4497 module a lot, I will purchase a Topping DX3 which uses the AK4493, for my desk/travel/bedside headphone system. For those of you with experience with either the 4493 or 4497, do you think I could expect similar results in DSD playback sound quality? One of the reasons I ask is because the AKM website calls the 4493 a 'Premium' sounding...' yet calls the 4497 its flagship. The tech specs look very similar, which all leaves me wondering how many real differences in sound could there possibly be -aside from how each manufacture uses the modules? I think there is only a 2 year difference in release dates; with all that i've interpreted, this information leaves me with an impression that there very well could be a significant sound difference. Not that one is better, but rather just different. Anyone with some ear time experience on either DAC, with direct DSD playback, and can offer their experiences, I would greatly appreciate it. I have no technical background with DAC technology, but I would enjoy learning if you could offer some of that information too -the main reason we're all here i wager. 

As a side question, Topping offers a Linear power supply that can be used on the DX3, would this 'cleaner power' offer greater sound quality? I've been thinking of getting power banks for my laptop and DAC (no AC power from source to file processing), could this offer a cleaner signal (cleaner sine wave) to the preamp, that would improve sound quality as well? Also, is there a forum room here that discusses power quality and audio? I've always wondered, from all that i've read regarding power and audio, why not just put a big, super high quality in front of an entire audio chain; or just a big battery? PS Audio's power bank is just way over priced for me. I should just stop now....

Anyway, thanks for any and all information, suggestions, ideas and Belgian beer you should ship to me.

robert

11 hours ago, motberg said:

You may be surprised at the extra sound quality you can gain through a dedicated source  such as:

You are correct indeed, i'm thoroughly surprised by the entire USBridge. I don't think i've ever run across this piece of hardware/software combo. I mean, i've seen things that remind of it ie. the whole roon server mini pc build thing. The little that i've read, also kind of reminds me of FPGAs such as the PS Audio DAC and the Chord Dave.  

May I ask what other gear was involved in the AK DAC you listened to? I'd like to get an idea as to how my current gear may add a nice balance to the AK DACs. One of my most cherished amps (Luxman MQ-88 uSE w/dozens of driver tubes = dozens of different amps) sounds fantastic with my Benchmark HGC2 in front. Whereas my First Watt SIT-3 amp sounds better with my Chord Hugo TT in front. I suspect it's due to the First Watt being a pretty dark SS Class A amp and adding the extra high frequency oomph the Hugo produces mates very well with the SIT-3. The Hugo is almost too much music detail in front of the Luxman. It sounds like what I would imagine a Bryston amp in front of KEF speakers to sound like. Great for post production studio listening, bad for long hour home use. I only use one preamp (Leben RS28CX) so I know what different DACs can do in front of any given amp. With what you've said, along with being unable to hear a difference between the Benchmark HGC 2 and 3 (new ESS module in the 3) I feel confident in buying a second AK DAC even while being a different manufacturer, in order to play DSD files with minor DAC interference. On the other side of it, I don't think I would be able to trust what PS Audio's DAC is doing to my dsd files via it's huge DSD upsampling/interpolations. 

Thanks again for the suggestion on the USBridge!

18 hours ago, matthias said:

Hi Robert,

did you consider the AKM top-of-the-line chip, the new AK4499, like in Topping D90 as well?

Thanks

Matt

Hello Matt,

To give you a direct and quick answer, I do not consider anything top tier/high end until my ears like the sound and I do not know if I have ever listened to an AKM based DAC for an extended period of time. Please understand I am not trying to sound like a smart ass, or elitist, or like a 'audiophile', but rather that is just how it is for me. Before I permanently damaged my wrists being a cello player, I would only purchase bows, strings, practice room sound treatments only if my ears liked the sound. I know it may not be the answer you were looking for, but it's the only way I have always made any of my music playing decisions. But, if you read the following, it explains more of the technical reasons of how I came to the awareness of the AKM module and why I was willing to spend money on a DAC with that module. 

I enjoy my Benchmark HGC2 a lot, and for me, it is top of the line. I have heard it play notes very neutral and very dynamic in very very fast piano Liszt or Paganini piano compositions for example. Not that other DACs were bad sounding, but the Benchmark really gives me the ability to hear very large differences in amplifiers -which is very important for me. I do not know if it is due entirely to the DAC, but technically speaking, I do not know what else could make that happen or not. Anyway, I never worried about what resolution my DSD files were until recently. A couple of months ago Nativedsd.com changed their download policy, at which point buyers had to consider which resolution they wanted as opposed to being able to download every single resolution they had to offer of that recording. I figured i would start downloading the highest resolution DSD files they offered. At the same time I knew i needed to get a DAC that played beyond DSD64. Once i started to research a DACs dsd resolution capabilities is when i noticed that some DACs (capable of dsd 512) used AKM -among others i can't remember. I found that AKM based DACs were being compared to my Benchmark. This naturally peaked my interest along with the understanding that the AKM sends the DSD file to the analog output in a more direct manner. So, taking all this into consideration, I found a AKM DAC that could go up to dsd 512 native/direct (not sure what the difference is yet). Within the next few weeks, I will be able to tell you if I like my new AKM as much as I like my Benchmark (it will be delivered to me this week). So, according to my ears, if it is enjoyed as much as the Benchmark, it will be top-of-the-line. 

Edit: I guess I should add, with consideration to the Topping DAC, that I have heard DACs that I did not like as much as my Benchmark. Only recently have I found that those DACs also used ESS based modules. So, I guess like with most technology, how a manufacture designs around the 3rd party module is going to play a vital role to the DAC's sound characteristics as well. I will be buying a Topping DAC if I like my new Musical Paradise DAC with the AKM module. However, I have never heard a Topping DAC. Also, I make my buying decisions based on the amplifier I listen to the most, which is a Luxman. With this in mind, there may be a possibility that AKM DACs do not render that well through tubes. Sounds pretty thin, but I just want to give you a bigger picture to what other gear i will be critically listening to the new AKm dac. 

robert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, firedog said:

Just to be sure: so all the AKM 449X chips do direct DSD?

Hello Firedog,

As far as all AKM 449X chips doing up to 512 I can't say for sure that is that case. But, I am only getting this information from one DAC module that came with my DAC which was quickly replaced. Also, not all manufactures are going to use the chip in the same ways. For example, some will over/under sample more than others, others not at all. Some will even be so tricky, (like Benchmark) and say they do not directly over/under sample. However, ALL of their files sent to the DAC will go through the DACs filter, and thus changing it to whatever degree the DAC sees fit. So, no, not a true NOS DAC to be sure.  

On the other hand, my Topping D90 is doing Native up to 256. But again, does this mean -no filtering, not re-sampling, etc. I two recordings, at Native DSD, which were recorded at 256 DSD. So, yes, this does mean it is very close to the master, as close as a master can get. But you never know if they moved it to PCM, for edits, prior to moving it back to DSD. Still, new to this forum, and don't have much time, but I'll try to post a few images using JRiver as the player that I hope can show these recorded 256 DSD performances do show it playing as native DSD. 

Good luck. Oh, and, in all due respect to prior AKM chips, the AK4499 is just out of this world. It just left the rest of AKM on planet Earth and is going for the stars. A gorgeous sounding DAC chip to be sure. I've heard the chip on two DACs, I can't remember the other, but own the Topping D90. It gets more play time than the 'Ever so mighty Benchmark. You know, the one 'in all the studios', playing EXACTLY what the recording captured, placing Wes Montgomery in your room, etc. It's at the last of my systems. 

A bit off-topic, but I called Benchmark because my DAC was not booting properly, and told Rory -Sales at Bench- that it's been a few weeks since I heard it due to it being only my headphone DAC which I rarely listen to. Wow, the tone in his voice changed a lot. I'm serious. I know Rory, a year ago he would have been a total gentleman. Now, it seems as though this one (i hope it's only Rory) guy at Bench think they're making the best gear on the planet. This statement is in conjunction with how Rory made Bench sound the last I spoke with him. As though I need not bother even looking anywhere else if I want absolute recording reality in my room. The thing is, is that I don't. WOah...so sorry for getting way off-topic. Coffee i guess. I don't want to make it sound like I do not recommend Benchmark at all. I loved that DAC for 5 years. 

Here ya go

Jriver DSD

39 minutes ago, barrows said:

@vvcv, the Topping D-90 does run the AKM 4499 chip in "Direct DSD" mode when the DAC is set with the volume control defeated ("DAC mode"). This has been confirmed directly by Topping, as I asked them this question. 

15 hours ago, firedog said:

Just to be sure: so all the AKM 449X chips do direct DSD?

Barrows, Thanks for the input. I did not feel to mention only Topping to be adequate to Firedogs' question as he asked about the chips performance and not the DACs performance. In addition, he may be considering another DAC with the AK44XX. And in my description, I noted that only because a chip manufacture states it is capable of certain resolutions, does not mean the DAC manufacture will follow the same guidelines, of sorts, to allow for those resolutions. In other words, his question was about AKM not Topping. 

Secondly, you are correct and I thought about showing a screenshot of Toppings' setup screen showing the 'DAC' setting, as opposed to the 'PRE' setting in the bootup setup. And, again, this would be to assume that he is asking about Topping DACs. Forgive me if earlier in the post Firedog is showing interest in Topping, I just don't have time to go back and read them. I was just trying to save time for everyone in distinguishing between chips and DACs -which many use interchangeably.  

Also, I may be wrong, and haven't done any asking, but guessing that placing the Topping D90, in PRE mode, turned all the way up is, by default, in DAC mode. Can anyone confirm, deny this. 

Oh, and has anyone tried the A90? No? Good. Stay away. I think my Benchmark DACs headphone amp is better, and that only got a "C" rating. Sent mine back in 30 seconds.