IGNORED

Is the DAC module AK4497 a substantial/moderate upgrade to AK4493?

I have recently tried 2 Dual AK4497 DAC's from different makers.

One was pretty good overall, and the other obviously lacked dynamics.

So I think the implementation of the chip in the DAC as a whole will have a greater influence than the chip itself.

I think it is a good idea to have both tube and solid state options at home! But maybe the MP DAC alone, especially with the 4497 and all the tweaking options available will offer a big enough dose of the tube good stuff (I would check that first before getting a tube pre and amp).

I would think tube rolling will offer much bigger differences than AK vs. Sabre.

You may be surprised at the extra sound quality you can gain through a dedicated source  such as:

I have not heard an AK4493, but if you like the reviews of that Topping model, I have read the chips share the same general family sound signature.

I notice the DX3 Pro uses a 15V power supply, which seems to me a somewhat uncommon voltage.

Only you can decide if the extra expense of a fancy power supply is worth the sound quality difference to you.

I think most DAC engineers put a high value in the power supply design.

The Topping D50 (Sabre) gets some good reviews and uses 5V, which should give you more power supply options. For travel I would use an iFi (these seems to be being upgraded so check carefully).

https://www.musicdirect.com/recommended-gifts-under-50/ifi-ipower-outboard-supply

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipowerx/

5V also can try a USB battery power pack source which may give a different presentation and may be great for travel (would need check the amperage draw, but maybe no so bad with the display shut down). For home, there are many 5V options including the used market.

The iFi is also available in 15V for the Topping DX3 Pro, which may prove a very nice combination for the money.

Hi, The AK4497 DAC's I had were the Topping D70 (OK but no dynamics) and the Gustard A20H (AOK).

They were fed by a pretty decent dual PC setup, both fanless, using full ATX LPS's and all peripherals (PCIE cards, SSD's, etc) fed by separate LPS's, most with outboard LT3045 regulators.  USB output is from a JCat USB* card to a Singxer UIP-1* isolator to a WFS Recovery* reclocker (*these all powered by separate Uptone LPS-1/1.2 super-capacitor PS and followed by LT3045's).  Software is WIN10 on control PC and WINServer 2019 GUI on the audio PC, using JPlay and AO.

Preamps and DAC's are powered by 220V mains power regeneration units.

Preamps used for comparisons were Lightspeed LDR attenuator (dead neutral) or Audio-GD Master 1, C-2, or NFB-1AMP (all SS and generally neutral).  AMP is Audio-GD Master 3 (Neutral-warm SS)

Speakers are Mark Daniel Ruby monitors (pretty flat but a couple +5db peaks after 10K in-room measured)

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/markdaniel3/ruby.html

All cables good quality but nothing crazy; interconnects are pure silver litz or Morrow, USB are Paul Pang, HDMI i2s is Wireworld, power cables are generic audiophile style, DC cables by Ghent, lots of MuMetal shielding scattered about.

Small, dedicated, single chair, amateur-acoustically treated, lights-out listening room.

My impression was that the AK4497 has very natural tonality, good sound-stage, and very black background (especially the D70).

These were both generally bettered by my Audio-GD NOS 7 (PCM1704UK, 4 per channel), which has similar attributes but adds a more realistic weight or texture (much more expensive also..).

Both these AK4497 DAC's's had some problems with occasional pops when trying DSD. I tried the USB inputs - and also a Gustard U16 DDC i2s for the Gustard A20H. For the Topping D70 I had trouble using i2s DDC's - neither the Gustard U16 or Singxer SU-1 would work via i2s. But I did not really try to much to troubleshoot this DSD problem. I asked my Gustard supplier about this popping and they replied it was inherent in the AK4497, but that answer was probably just weak customer service and not accurate. So if you are looking to use a lot of DSD files, you may want to double check that popping stuff with the AK's.. I only have a few DSD albums, but also had trouble with HQPlayer oversampling to DSD. (I have a Topping D50 and a quick check showed my DSD files works OK with the Sabre Topping) This problem was probably due to my configurations, but it would be a good point to investigate on the exact DAC you are considering, if you will be using DSD or changing sample rates within a playlist.