IGNORED

Fancy outlets on the computer side...

On 3/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, sandyk said:

Tch ! Tch!

Please don't jest about things like that. Some reader(s) may try to do this with possibly disastrous results:o

I agree, but I was making a point. The point is that fitting costly mains sockets, upgrading the wall wiring, and fitting expensive  power cables from the wall to the input sockets on the backs of one’s components, is futile if it all narrows down to a tiny filament of fuse wire before the current is even applied to the power transformer’s primary! It’s just common sense. Audiophiles spend thousands on mains cables the size of a baby’s leg, to improve the current flow and quality to their equipment only to have that “improvement” lost at the bottleneck of a line fuse, and the small gauge wiring (by comparison to the mains cable) inside the component itself. 

And I trust that my peers here on this forum are smart enough that no one takes me seriously about replacing the component’s fuse with a fuse-sized piece of 12-gauge (or bigger) solid copper wire! But that’s one of the changes that it would take to remove the fuse and internal wiring “bottle necks” in most equipment.

George

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

George

Clearly you have never had problems with the cheap IEC sockets and plugs used with some gear , where you may even lose mains power to have it return when you forcefully reinsert the IEC 3 pin plug. I replaced an IEC socket for this very reason.

Regards

Alex

I’m sure that it does happen, and when it does, that IEC cable needs to be replaced (and I have a large cardboard box full of these cords which could supply that eventuality) but, having inspected a number of these expensive and huge “boutique” mains cords from Furutech and the like, I don’t see how they could prevent this type of intermittent failure. In fact, due to the weight of these types of IEC cords, I would suspect that they would put more strain on their connectors than do ordinary power cords, thus increasing the possibility of the types of failures that you mention above.
I have a friend who uses huge mains cable for his headphone amplifier. Because the cable is so heavy, he had to hot-glue the feet of his headphone amp to his equipment stand or the unsupported weight of the cable will pull the amp off of the shelf!

George

20 hours ago, Jeff_N said:

Aurender N100C, Yggdrasil, right now I'm using a Yaqin MC-13 S integrated amp but sometimes I swap in a Plinius 9200. Oh and a PurePower regenerator. Speaker wires are Blue Jeans, as are most of the interconnects, except for the USB cable from the Aurender to the Yggster, which is a Cardas.

If you can, try replacing the USB cable to the Yiggy with either a coax or a Toslink optical SPDIF cable. I think that you will find that there is a significant sonic improvement over the USB interface.

George

On 3/4/2020 at 3:22 PM, mfaoro said:

Thank you gmgraves, sandyk, fas42

No, I have not updated the wiring inside my components. I don’t plan to.

Gmgraves, fas42: Are you asserting that improving wiring before the component does not make much difference since the wiring in the component is usually very limited in its capacities. 

Essentially, all the mains supply upgrades in the world are negated by the bottlenecks that occur down-stream in the components themselves.

George

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

Do you consider the interaction of AC pulsed currents due to rectification on the DC side causing problems, by that,  distortion of the sine wave?

That might be possible, but keep in mind that in some systems the power transformer is fed a square wave, and in car radios, the power transformer is fed interrupted DC from the “vibrator”. IOW, I don’t think a slightly distorted sine wave on the primary side of the power supply will affect the DC output one iota. Now, it occurs to me that by a distorted sine wave, you might be talking about the amplifier output. The answer there is no.

George

17 hours ago, gmgraves said:

That might be possible, but keep in mind that in some systems the power transformer is fed a square wave, and in car radios, the power transformer is fed interrupted DC from the “vibrator”. IOW, I don’t think a slightly distorted sine wave on the primary side of the power supply will affect the DC output one iota. Now, it occurs to me that by a distorted sine wave, you might be talking about the amplifier output. The answer there is no.

When I mentioned car radios, I failed to make the distinction that I was talking about the old tube car radios from the 1950’s and early 1960’s. They took the 6 or 12 volt car battery voltage and “chopped it” into pulsed DC and the power transformer in these radios are not being fed by a sine wave, but by a DC voltage that is going from zero volts to the battery voltage and back to zero again. This is about as far from a sine wave as you can get. But I have looked at the DC B+ from these radios’ power supplies and they are as clean as the power supplies in any AC powered system.

George