IGNORED

Can I accomplish the same results as Audiolense by using rePhase and REW? If so, what would be the work process?

bwhitejr

Good question! There are a couple of popular diy techniques using donationware that can definitely improve the response of your loudspeakers in your room:

One is the Moving Mic Measurement (MMM) technique:

http://www.ohl.to/audio/downloads/MMM-moving-mic-measurement.pdf

But is only frequency correction and does not provide excess phase correction. For some that is good enough.

Another is using REW with rePhase:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/10xdhh83jokzbxv/REW_rePhase_tuto.pdf?dl=0

While it has excess phase correction, it is not the same as Audiolense (or Acourate or Dirac for that matter). But again, for some, good enough.

I have compared all of the above, including the commercial software listed and others, and there is a reason for paying for commercial applications which results in the best correction, especially low frequency correction. The commercial software packages employ additional analysis and filtering techniques that are proprietary and not present in either REW or rePhase.

Note that both REW and rePhase are not marketed as "room correction" software but can be DIY adapted to provide some of the capability of the commercial offerings. But that's the difference and what makes the commercial offerings unique, especially if it does a better job than the freeware, which based on my measurements and listening tests does. 

For example, here is the phase response of my large double 15" "ported" cabs along with dual 18" sealed subs crossed at 46 Hz in an asymmetrical setup, measured at 9 ft at the listening position from 10 Hz to 200 Hz. The speakers were DSP'd using Audiolense with True Time Domain (TTD) correction.

JBL 4722 dual F18 subs.jpg

The left and right REW measurements were made at the listening position with 1/12 octave smoothing in REW using the default window of 500ms with no Frequency Dependant Windowing or any other manipulation in REW. Note the vertical scale. I have yet to see anyone show a similar measurement, using the same REW settings I have, with REW and rePhase.

However, all of them will improve the low frequency response of your loudspeakers in your room, which is a good thing 🙂

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Mitch