IGNORED

What measurements correlate with X?

12 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Thanks John, I didn't know that but will listen to see if I can perceive it.

On a related topic there was a huge debate on AS as to whether height could be encoded on a stereo recording in the first place. With a conventional microphone, an object moving sideways or vertically is simply moving away from the mic and it cannot encode anything but  L-R differential response. I always pondered that there must be something, some cue in the signal that subserves the illusion of height perception.Perhaps dynamic range??

Perhaps our knowledge that some instruments are on the floor whilst others are at waist height and others still at head height.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 3/4/2020 at 5:52 PM, jabbr said:

IMD is one of the non linear distortions that is not measured on the typical AP analyzer FFT. Inter modulation distortion is not the side band/harmonic spectra surrounding a pure tone rather depends on interactions between tones. Think about distortion/soundstage breakdown when too many instruments are playing at the same time. 

Many (most?) audiophiles do not listen to orchestral music, large choirs or jazz bands.

This perhaps explains why equipment which produces high quantities of IMD can still be popular.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)