IGNORED

In search of speakers that are more efficient

I am in the middle of assembling a new system here for myself, and am strongly considering SET amplification, or no more than 40-45 watts of 211 tube power. I am not sure yet...

Anyway, I am not up to date on the realm of more efficient speakers, my current pair are Sonus Faber Olympica 1s with a 4 ohm / 87db rating, not exactly efficient.

So, where do I need to be looking and listening?

Thanks.

edit: If it matters, the room is 15.5 x 14 feet with a flat ceiling and will be treated.

No electron left behind.

I used to sell high efficiency speakers and SET amps back in the 90's as an antidote to sterile digital sources. In the end i switched to less efficient speakers that imaged well like ATC, B&W and Harbeth. Although I did hear B&W 802 sound great with a SET once with chamber music, not rock though. 

4 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Under 50k, the fewer dollars the better...

These are amazing at just below your price point:  https://voxativ.berlin/987

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am in the middle of assembling a new system here for myself, and am strongly considering SET amplification, or no more than 40-45 watts of 211 tube power. I am not sure yet...

Anyway, I am not up to date on the realm of more efficient speakers, my current pair are Sonus Faber Olympica 1s with a 4 ohm / 87db rating, not exactly efficient.

Thanks.

edit: If it matters, the room is 15.5 x 14 feet with a flat ceiling and will be treated.

Not to belabor things, but it seems backwards to look for speakers for an amp. Typically I do the reverse. For that matter, there is one heck of a big difference between SET and 45-50 watts. 50 watts typically implies a push pull amp which is anything but SET. Weren't you recently looking for an amp to drive HPs? Are you looking to put pair these with that?

I've been down the single driver route(plus sub?). It was great for a chick and her guitar or chamber music, but always left me wanting with other material. There is only so much one can do with a 6" driver and a whizzer cone. If I were to go back there, I'd look into something Lowther based instead of horn based in a room that size. I must admit that I have a bit of a love affair with Tannoy though.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Some interesting stuff in this short article

https://hometheaterreview.com/whats-so-irresistible-about-a-single-ended-triode-set-amp/

@AudioDoctor, I would've considered you with a pair of Beolab 50's.  All active speakers with modern style and then in your Den/study a tubed amp headphone setup.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/da/hoejttalere/beolab-50?variant=beolab-50-bronze

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

4 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

These are amazing at just below your price point:  https://voxativ.berlin/987

love my 9.87’s (my previous speakers were B&W 802d3’s). I have the 4D drivers which are 104dB efficient.  Basically a full range speaker experience with <2W. The dynamics, transparency, and holographic imaging are way beyond anything I’ve heard before. Single driver speaker experience isn’t for everyone, but worth seeking out an audition

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

5 hours ago, 4est said:

Not to belabor things, but it seems backwards to look for speakers for an amp. Typically I do the reverse. For that matter, there is one heck of a big difference between SET and 45-50 watts. 50 watts typically implies a push pull amp which is anything but SET. Weren't you recently looking for an amp to drive HPs? Are you looking to put pair these with that?

I've been down the single driver route(plus sub?). It was great for a chick and her guitar or chamber music, but always left me wanting with other material. There is only so much one can do with a 6" driver and a whizzer cone. If I were to go back there, I'd look into something Lowther based instead of horn based in a room that size. I must admit that I have a bit of a love affair with Tannoy though.

The amp is for headphones...

speakers are an extra bonus. 

No electron left behind.

14 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Thanks.

Find the speakers you love first... their characteristics will drive which class/type amp is best choice. I rarely hear SET amplifiers used other than with horn speakers... these

have their own unique characteristics for sound.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Find the speakers you love first... their characteristics will drive which class/type amp is best choice. I rarely hear SET amplifiers used other than with horn speakers... these

have their own unique characteristics for sound.

I did, they're called the HiFiman Susvara headphone...

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, ShawnC said:

Some interesting stuff in this short article

https://hometheaterreview.com/whats-so-irresistible-about-a-single-ended-triode-set-amp/

@AudioDoctor, I would've considered you with a pair of Beolab 50's.  All active speakers with modern style and then in your Den/study a tubed amp headphone setup.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/da/hoejttalere/beolab-50?variant=beolab-50-bronze

The Mcintosh receiver and Sonus Faber's are going into the family room, the tubed headphone amp is going into a spare bedroom in the basement where I can be left alone to listen to music.

No electron left behind.

24 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I did, they're called the HiFiman Susvara headphone...

This would be an excellent future proof purchase, The Linear Tube Audio Electrostatic headphone amplifier ( unless you plan to buy a Raal SR1A  :<) )

High/low impedance headphone jacks,  STAX type headphone plug and 12 w to drive speakers. Berning design means tubes  stay relatively linear in tone color

response, fast transients and no problems with low end bass.

https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/z10e-electrostatic-headphone-amp-integrated-amp

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

This would be an excellent future proof purchase, The Linear Tube Audio Electrostatic headphone amplifier ( unless you plan to buy a Raal R1A  :<) )

High/low impedance headphone jacks,  STAX type headphone plug and 12 w to drive speakers. Berning design means tubes  stay relatively linear in tone color

response, fast transients and no problems with low end bass.

https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/z10e-electrostatic-headphone-amp-integrated-amp

Is that for Electrostatic headphones only? The Susvara's are planar magnetic.

No electron left behind.

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Is that for Electrostatic headphones only? The Susvara's are planar magnetic.

It supports all... future proof. I listened through it at CAF with the Meze Empyreans  and the Dan Clark Voce's, pretty impressive. They also have a model down

thats limited to standard headphones, the MZ3 which is the later upgraded version of the MZ2 I use. It puts out 1W for speakers, vs the 12W amp section

of the Electrostatic headphone amp.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

17 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Thanks.

Goodness sake, for $50K you could easily afford a pair of Devialet Expert Pro 440s and a pair of KEF Blades - the originals, not the little brothers. 

That’s my setup - I  bought the amps as demo and the speakers used. Best system I wver had. 

7 hours ago, ray-dude said:

Single driver speaker experience isn’t for everyone, but worth seeking out an audition

Ray - any chance you could provide some more context around how the single driver experience might not be for everyone?  As mentioned, I loved what I heard from the 9.87 at RMAF a few years ago.  None of the music played in that room provided any hint that these single driver speakers would fall short with any type of music.  Their Zeth is something I’ve eyed as a speaker in my price range that I could drive with my TT2.  I’ve yet to hear it but wonder how well it would align to my listening preferences.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256