IGNORED

Booting iMac Catalina with Memory Card

Hello,

My iMac late 2013 start giving me trouble since two weeks...

I managed to install my 10.15.3 Catalina macOS with all my soft and preferences on a 128gb SDcard:

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B073JYC4XM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it works perfectly and i can boot from it... but sometimes it lags a bit... yes i know it is not a SSD disk,

i can live with it like that in between buying a new used iMac...

Then i saw my card was not the fastest, so i bought a new one, it is a U3, v60 better transfer, read and write:

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B07NLY7N7L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one i can also install the clone of my system and it boot all right from a USB Memory Card adapter, but when i try to boot from the iMac card reader, it sees the System... load it to the 2/3, then i have the Circle icon with a Slash in it... have to hard shut down... put the card back in the USB Card adapter on the back of the iMac and it works like it should ??

Anyone know how i can make it to boot from the Card reader ?  Is the card too fast for my Late 2013 ?

Thank you for reading.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

I have an ssd in the iMac... it doesn’t see it now... i don’t know the reason yet, but need my computer and have no Money at the moment, already have a card. Your price is in usd, much compare to can $ 😀

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably trying to look at both for booting. I would take out the card, reboot and make sure the internal SSD works before using the card. It really doesn't seem as thought the card is working. Eventually, you will have to have your computer checked out by an Apple support or another expert. 

thank you for coming back here... it doesn't see the SSD now, this disc that i plugged myself when switching it myself with removing the screen and removind the Apple slow one... but i'm pretty sure it is still well ''hung up'' ?

Now, i forgot the faster memory card directly connected to the card holder in my iMac...

maybe the card is to fast for my old 2013 iMac... i bought a cheap USB card holder and it works better

than the slow card working in the mac card holder... you follow me?

The thing i'm thinking is that my graphic card getting to die soon or mother board ??

With booting from the USB 3 slot in my late 2013 iMac with the card holder it is working good (working with it everyday since) and not very lagging compare to the real iMac booting system, except a little slower when opening compare to the previous SSD not being seen now for whatever reason i don't know...

the bugging thing still happening for me is that when my iMac is open for long time (like a day) it won't shut down properly. Like before without the memory card with the real SSD installed... it does not shut down... got the square message written in all language that says it did not shut down properly and had restarted, then with in the finder

i can shut down properly....

i guess nothing can be done... will die soon for a reason i don't know... i live with it since... can't really afford to spen like 800$ for the same old old or a more recent used iMac on used site, Arf!

Can't afford and new one for sure... maybe a used one like after 2013. But for now, i run on the memory card and will stick to that with last Catalina. The thing if bring to Apple, they have to remove and put back the screen, that cost just for opening iMac, then if a problem found, have to pay more, and my screen is already have a little crack on bottom left when i did it myself (putting the SSD in) Arf!!

I put it on Sleep when at night and maybe do a restart once a week, i'll stretch it the longest i can :)