IGNORED

Mac CPU at 300% using Roon

Hi,

I've addressed this to the great folks at Roon but the issue went away before they actually tried to do something. 

Well, it came back: When Roon is running on my 2018 Mac Mini (3.2Ghx, i7 core) , the fan goes on and Roon is drawing 300% CPU usage. The fan noise is so loud, I close up Roon and chose an alternative.

Has anyone had this issue and what have you done to solve it?

Roon normally functions at about 7% cpu, sometimes less.

No other app is running that has not run before, or when it performed normally.

Tanks

Bernard

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

All regularly updated. Roon has had some complaints , like this one, but no solution to my knowledge.

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Thanks for hanging in AudioDoctor.

Yes, I had originally posted there, along with other clients, but like I said, my issue went away for a few weeks and the thread was closed. I'll re-ask them but thought this group might have a solution.

Thanks again.

I had the same problem with my 2018 Mac mini. Fan ran too much. Not sure if Roon was causing it or not but I reset the system management controller (SMC) and haven’t heard a peep from the fans for several months now. Just google how to reset SMC on a Mac. Can’t hurt to try it.

I have a similar issue on a Late 2011 MacMini. CPU usage rises tot approximately 150%. The mini is only used as a ROON core.

Mac OS system maintenance (I use ONYX) fixes the problem for me. I do this every 4 months or so.

I think the issue is, file permission problems for the Roon software. I run the Roon remote app on 3-4 different devices to control 1 single Roon endpoint. The Roon remote on my Huawei Mediapad crashes a lot (i.e. the app starts again when I wake it up from background modus), and I imagine this causes open processes on the core not to closed properly. At some point then the Core has problems to deal with this. Rebooting the Core or the MacMini revolves the issue. But eventually you will need to a proper cleanup with a Mac OS maintenance tool. So, I recommend you do some OS maintenance.

The above is my suspicion. I have no proof for my theory.

Do your Roon remote apps also reboot when you wake them up from background mode? If so, we might be on to something.

Thank you for your input. Sorry for the delay, not from lack of interest, but a major snowstorm around here.

When the CPU is running wild, it lasts the entire time Roon is running.

I will try the system management approach suggested above. 

No issues on my Android or Ipad remote btw.

Thanks

Hello,

Very unscientific of me, changed 2 variables in my test at the same time. Did a SMC reset and a Onyx management scan and Roon humming at 8% after an hour, 

This might be a Eureka moment.

Many tanks yo all.