IGNORED

Mac OS Update Help

Been running a 2012 Mini Quad Core as dedicated music computer, headless using Screen Sharing.

Have HQPlayer, A+ and Pure Music on it.   

Tried to update HQPlayer 3 and got a message that my OS, EL Capitan, was too old and that I needed High Sierra to be able to update.

Music files are on an outboard HD, about 2.3 GB of them organized by iTunes.

Since nothing was broke, and music played fine, I did not update OS. 

Should and and to which version? 

Have read on these pages that valuable features of A+ and possibly others can be messed with depending upon OS used.

Thanks.

Tone with Soul

You can't edit your post because there is a time limit after which you can no longer edit your post.

Sure, if you want to update your other programs I guess you have to update your OS don't you? High Sierra would be fine, if you can actually find it from a reputable source such as this one:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12

If that doesn't work because you're still on El Capitan, then make double sure you're not downloading from someplace other than Apple directly. Or you can upgrade to I think Mojave, maybe even Catalina. If you want to or not, that's up to you.

Should you?  Probably, there are security fixes and such that have come out along the way, and it will ensure you're compatible with the latest software as well.

edit: I am currently on Mojave on my Mini, I run Roon on it, it works fine.

No electron left behind.

If you're using third-party software, then you will need to update the OS, as you have seen. If you're going to update, you might as well update to the current OS, Catalina. This will prevent issues going forward as your software is updated. Eventually, it won't be compatible with older versions. In addition, Apple only updates the current and previous OS with security fixes, so if your Mac is connected to the internet - which it most likely is - then you should update. 

I would not download a macOS installer from a third party, as suggested above. Here is an article with Mac App Store links to the last half dozen versions of macOS:

https://tidbits.com/2019/10/28/redownload-archived-macos-installers-to-address-expired-certificates/

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

You'll use the new Music app for your music. If you use any other types of content, they'll go in other apps. But if you say you're using HQPlayer, A+ and Pure Music, are you not using them instead of iTunes? If you want to remain with iTunes, upgrade to Mojave. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

1 hour ago, kirkmc said:

You'll use the new Music app for your music. If you use any other types of content, they'll go in other apps. But if you say you're using HQPlayer, A+ and Pure Music, are you not using them instead of iTunes? If you want to remain with iTunes, upgrade to Mojave. 

I have been able to roll with iTunes through all the upgrades, overcoming new stuff without stress.

The change to Music has been more difficult and is making me nervous- I maintain a full library on an external drive and a smaller library that fills up my built-in HD.  Lots of "can't find file" though they recently were there.

More strongly considering the possibility of Audirvana only.

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Thanks, RHS.

Looked at the Mojave link and it is scary, sure to pooch all that Terminal stuff.  I am a computer knucklehead, never written a line of code, only "computer class" I have taken was a mandatory project at Columbia B school with cards, those paper things with holes punched in them...why I favor Mac, because it just seems to work, mostly.

Lost my tech advisor when my son left for college and now lives in TX.  

Guess I'll stay with old versions.  Not having issues with HQP nor PM and Integer Mode works on A+...

Tone with Soul

I didn't wote those lines of code... i'm a graphic designer :) i just wrote the text to make it really easy for newbie that you just have to follow all steps in order. It is merely just copy and paste lines, really easy if you take your time. Since Mojave is done, you will have to do it just once...

If you have a Time machine backup (you should) or from another soft, backup up your system, then try... It will take you 30 minutes the first time... it took longer just to wait for computer to boot back from recovery mode :)

Again, it is just to put back Direct Mode that will bring you how much % of betterness with Audirvana... can't say, Some can't live without it, some not sure it changed something... but you'll never know with your system what it can do.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13