mitchco

Article: Dirac Live 2 Digital Room Correction Software Walkthrough

Recently hired Mitch to optimize my system.  Intelligently applied DSP is the most important change to my system since I started with this hobby in the late 1970s while studying electrical engineering in college.   Mitch ended up using Audiolense.   We’re on the second set of filters, trying to dial in the “perfect” timbre for my taste.  Over the years like most audiophiles I made many changes, most resulted in incremental Improvement, but this is the first true game changer in how my system sounds.   Real science, measurable results, very talented, easy to work with remotely.   What else can I say.  

Audio Alchemy DMP-1 / Roon / Berkeley Alpha RS 2 / Constellation Monos / TAD R1s

2 minutes ago, pga said:

Recently hired Mitch to optimize my system.  Intelligently applied DSP is the most important change to my system since I started with this hobby in the late 1970s while studying electrical engineering in college.   Mitch ended up using Audiolense.   We’re on the second set of filters, trying to dial in the “perfect” timbre for my taste.  Over the years like most audiophiles I made many changes, most resulted in incremental Improvement, but this is the first true game changer in how my system sounds.   Real science, measurable results, very talented, easy to work with remotely.   What else can I say.  

Hey PGA, great to read about your experience with Mitch and the results. It mirrors my experience. DSP has come a very long way and in the right hands it’s amazing. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

18 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Could one (Dirac) limit the frequency band below a certain frequency ? Like you concentrate the frequency taps in restricted area, and then achieve a more narrow frequency bin. 

I think no, cause this is about frequency resolution, so you can’t shrink somehow. 

Also some HW manufacturers is using 96 kHz, and then you actually need double the number  of taps in in order to achieve same resolution. Correct ?

What would be an acceptable frequency bin or resolution ?

I probably don’t ask the correct question, but I hope you somehow understand what I’m thinking about 😀

Like adjusting more taps to lover frequencies. And less to the higher ones. Don’t think this make sense. 

96000/65536 = 1.46 Hz. Would you like to see a lower number, or what is acceptable In your opinion ?

I notice Dirac now have a basic version below 500 Hz for 3.x, and then you pay extra in order to get access to adjust frequency above that. 
I still would think Dirac requires some sort of available processing power from the HW manufacturers. Unless Dirac supplies the board to the manufacturers. Do you happen to know anything about how this works ?

Hi @R1200CL Dirac is a bit different than other DSP software in that it uses a combination of IIR and FIR filters. This paper covers how it works, Controlling the impulse responses and the spatial variability in digital loudspeaker-room correction." Note Dirac does not have many user adjustable controls...

This short primer on FIR Filter for Audio Practitioners answers your questions on calculating the number of taps and frequency resolution. If you really want to get into it, then I suggest this accessible text on, 

"The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing."

I say this as your note on more "filtering" down low and less up high is doable, but it involves more than just the number of taps... We get into Frequency Dependant Windowing and controlling how much amplitude and excessphase correction is applied at low frequencies versus high frequencies. This takes into account how much loudspeaker plus room gets corrected at low frequencies with how much direct sound is corrected at higher frequencies and by how much as it is all adjustable in other DSP software. It gets complicated quickly as there many variables to take into account, including why we hear what we hear in small room acoustics. My DSP book tries to explain this as simply as possible with examples.

Wrt to what DSP chips are used in what h/w devices, I could not say.

Happy listening!