IGNORED

Article: Dirac Live 2 Digital Room Correction Software Walkthrough

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a loopback sweep through JRiver of Dirac's correction filter used in this article on top. On bottom is another DSP product using a FIR correction filter for the same speaker (both left channel). I drew a red line just above the FIR correction filter as I know that is 0 dBFS as I can inspect the FIR filter directly and measure it's peak amplitude in another application.

Dirac correction filter top DSP correction filter bottom for Purifi SPK4.jpg

As I can't inspect the Dirac correction filter directly, or know what is going on in the DiracLiveProcessor (i.e. is it "just" a convolution engine or is there additional processing?) it is difficult to draw any real conclusions. The only conclusion I can draw is that the two filters are going to sound different. Note some other DRC/DSP software products provide the user the capability of adjusting how much correction is applied.

• 8 months later...

Thanks @Schlagerfor your note. I should mentioned that Focus Fidelity Designer was also reviewed here at AS.

DRC Designer is used in conjunction with Denis Sbragion's DRC for creating room correction filters: http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/doc/drc.html I have used this DSP software before and is very good!

There is a long thread on diyAudio that goes into it's usage of both DRC and DRC Designer for folks that want to roll up their sleeves and play with it: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/275730-convolution-based-alternative-electrical-loudspeaker-correction-networks.html

I mention this as I don't have time for a formal review, but their is a lot of good information on the diyAudio thread.