IGNORED

Article: Dirac Live 2 Digital Room Correction Software Walkthrough

Hi Mitch,

Another great article. Thanks.

I gave the new Dirac VST plug-in a try. I found some bugs and it does not yet support multi-channel home theater. I'm now on their beta-tester list and will try it again in the future.

I like the Dirac VST plug-in because I can insert it in JRiver DSP with other audio processing.

I'm now a big fan of the Multi-Sub Optimizer (MSO) software. It's the best ever for low frequency correction assuming you have multiple subwoofer channels. I posted my experience here: Optimization of a Subwoofer Line Array with MSO

I hope to try Dirac with my MSO subwoofers in the future.

2 hours ago, mitchco said:

Hi @hulkss good to hear from you! Thanks for your comments. I have used MSO as well. Excellent software!  Would be curious to see the corresponding phase response that goes with the frequency response plots in your MSO post...

Hope you are well.

Kind regards,

Mitch

Sure, I'll add a couple more charts in a post to the thread I started.

• 5 months later...

Hi Mitch,

I recently used the VST plug-in "Dirac Live 3 Multichannel" with "Jriver Media Center" as the host application. The output of Dirac goes into Jriver DSP where I have bass management, digital crossovers, and multi-subwoofer optimization filters (MSO software).

I did a  9 measurement cube with an Earthworks M30 mic (8 corners plus center), set target responses as needed, and generated a filter set.

This the BEST my system has ever sounded plus it's quick and easy (not counting the separate use of MSO and REW to generate my subwoofer line array filter set).

Dirac Live Bass Control for optimizing multiple subwoofers is in the works and may be able to replace my use of MSO. I'm a bit skeptical as MSO is truly amazing in what it can achieve.

Dirac Live Bass Control Illustration (just happens to be how my subs are arranged). No rear subs in my case.

spacer.png

Hi Mitch,

I have a 7-meter-wide subwoofer line array consisting of one central Infinite Baffle (IB) Subwoofer, flanked by four Epik Empire subwoofers, and two Klipschorn corner-horns. Fourteen 15-inch drivers in all, driven with 5 amplified input channels: one for the IB, one for each K-Horn, and two channels for the two Epik pairs. The corner horns play L & R  channel content above 80 Hz and are part of the subwoofer array below 80 Hz.

Here is the Jriver DSP Set-up (all 64 bit processing with 24 bit, 48 kHz signals):

DTS Neural UpMix is a VST3 Plug-in inside of DDMF Metaplugin64 v 3.4.3. That's what I could get to work properly.

Next Jriver PEQ2 swaps side and rear surrounds, then into the Dirac plugin.

I attached a list showing what makes up the somewhat confusing audio channels and then the Jriver DSP.

The last image shows the Robert Bristow-Johnson (RBJ) parametric equalizer “bi-quad” filters from MSO that are in the last image of Jriver Parametric Equalizer DSP.

As far as I know an unlimited number of filters can be entered into Jriver DSP.

2020-09-07 (1).png

2020-09-07 (2).png

Channels.PNG

2020-09-07 (4).png

2020-09-07 (5).png

2020-09-07 (6).png

2020-09-07 (8).png

Filters.png

38 minutes ago, mitchco said:

Wow @hulkss that is some engineered system you have there! Like I say, I would love to hear it!  14 x 15" woofers, that must be some slam!

Just in case you did not see it, JRiver 27 will have VST3 support: 

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126706.0.html 

Still likely need the metaplugin...

Thanks for sharing!

The software can be problematic. I loaded an update to Metaplugin a few months ago and it gave me trouble so I am holding at v3.4.3 for now. I'll try updating again when Jriver 27 is ready. Thanks for the VST3 heads up.

Sadly, it's a rare audio mix that has the dynamic range to sound truly live and use the full potential of this system.