IGNORED

Article: Dirac Live 2 Digital Room Correction Software Walkthrough

A great post as always Mitch.

I have been using Dirac with a MiniDSP DDRC-22D for years now with my B&W 803D speakers and with Dirac V3.0 now out I finally decided to update from V2.3 and run my measurements again using your recommendation of removing furniture. In the past I have removed objects between the LP and speakers (if any) but have left the L shaped leather couch in place. I would describe my room as tending to be more on the dead side with carpeted floors and absorption on the wall approx. 1.5m behind the listening position. I guess the couch would have been a major point of reflections?

One slight bugbear in the past was that whilst Dirac did a great job as far as frequency correction was concerned, the sound always seemed to lack the "openness" of the uncorrected playback and that is now back without losing any imaging focus. Historically I never liked recommended target curves of more than 6dB maximum tilt, as they invariably sounded dull. I am listening now with a straight 8dB tilt from 20Hz to 20kHz and it sounds great.

I don't know if the improvement I'm hearing is due to the new software or the couch removal during measurement or a combination of both....and I really don't care 😀  Interestingly my first impression with the new measurements apart from the increased openness is that everything sounds just a touch slower and coherent.