mourip

CDs in a Streaming World

Rate this topic

Not sure if the title conveys what I want to start a discussion about.

I have a modest collection of CDs which have mostly been ripped and not are backed up in multiple places and can be accessed via Roon. I am not also enjoying the wide open world of new, to me, music via Qobuz through Roon.

I am not in a part of my life where I no longer am interested in accumulation and in fact want to divest of clutter and "stuff". I am thinking of disposing of all of my CDs now that they are ripped and safely backed up. I realize that there are many opinions out there regarding intellectual rights for recorded music. My tendancy is to just chew up the CDs and recycle them. My understanding is that legally if I keep the music files then I cannot really even donate the hard copy.

Have any of you dumped your CDs and just kept the files? I figure that worst case I can always use Qobuz or another service to listen to most of my music in the event of a catastrophic loss.

I am not so much looking for a legal discussion, just wondering what others have done or are considering.

Thanks!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I would keep the CDs and perhaps do what @jcbenten does and discard the cases. Selling CDs in this day and age is a real pain as they now have almost no value except for collectable ones such as MFSL.

I have paid as little as 59 cents for used CDs and even occasionally SACDs at Grassroots Books. And the library has quarterly sales of donated CDs and yes the occasional SACD for $1 each. For used CDs and SACDs it's a buyers market.

Personally, I don't rip any of my CDs or SACDs to my computer. I download only high resolution music files which are not available on SACD or in the case where I don't want the entire album. I prefer to just play the CD or SACD in my Yamaha Blu-ray / SACD universal player. However, if I was ever to rip my CDs and SACDs to my computer I would still keep the discs as extra backup copies.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Hope I'm On Topic enough 🙂

1. I don't stream. The main reasons are because: (i) I dislike commercial environments associated with my personal listening (aside from the obvious financial implications of acquiring media inc. CDs and the equipment necessary to reproduce music); (ii) I dislike a distracting visual environment associated with listening - I use fb2k in black and white mode - simple - nothing but info germane and how I want to organise my flac Library and play back the music - I don't want (especially wrong for a given rip) Album Art and I don't like database typo mistakes or other errors - my Library is tagged my way - it's not just control freakery - the way I do it I can exploit and thus enjoy my music resource far more effectively - I can "study" the evolution of music more efficiently; and, (iii) I don't need to pay for music because I have enough already and there's little draw for me personally in "new" music - my interests are mostly pre-1980 with few exceptions.

2. CDs are an important resource for me. I rip using EAC [Exact Audio Copy] and always have done. Incidentally my system is Dante/RedNet. *All* my digital music is ripped/redbook and I upsample x 4 in fb2k before ASIO/DVSC.

3. I do value CDs as an archive. I get pleasure out of owning them. I go thru a lot of new Jewel Cases etc. Whereas my non-classical archive is A-Z by Artist my classical archive is sorted in other ways - not by Label as it happens but by Composer, Conductor etc - logical enough to my thinking.

4. Here comes the interesting point which I know may invite contradiction - I see CDs as an asset. I'm not dogmatic about it - and I know the world and his wife are streaming - but what if the streamers start charging too much for what we want - or mess up the masters - or just want to monopolise commercially etc - well I have my own resource at home and they can't touch it.

5. Some CDs or CD sets are valuable/collectable. I know as a fact because I am an online trader.

6. A two-edged sword (see my new Topic here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58521-one-mans-jewels-another-mans-junk-or-load/) but I see CDs as a possible resource for my family. I know my nieces are interested in records. Maybe some of the next generation (or two) will want CDs. Maybe I turn out to be wrong about that, and in the end most CDs become deserving only of shredding.

7. In relation to the previous few bullets, I recall our mutual friend Bob was on the same page about this - rb2013 here and elsewhere but for present purposes Tubelover2 on USA Audio Mart - I remember he posted about CDs retaining their usefulness/worth - I could maybe find the thread area if interest.

Thanks for the Topic Paul.

For years after ripping CDs I gave them to a local charity that runs a thrift shop. But lately I've wondered if it's worth the charity's trouble to sell them for next to nothing. 

Anyway I buy almost no physical media anymore. I can get 99% of what I want to own from Bandcamp or Qobuz.

8 hours ago, Jeff_N said:

For years after ripping CDs I gave them to a local charity that runs a thrift shop. But lately I've wondered if it's worth the charity's trouble to sell them for next to nothing. 

I've found a few good out-of-print CDs at thrift shops.  It was worth my trouble. ☺️

Thanks for all of the input. I guess my main motivation in wanting to lose the physical media is to save space. A couple of big hard drives, one being off site, do not take up much room. Actually I hardly listen to my own material lately with such a wide open world available on Qobuz. I do realize that there is no guarantee that a given recording will still be there in a month but for now I am just exploring. I have not tossed them yet just pondering!

Best,

Paul

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Have a few hundred of CD's left and I going to keep them along with my LP's and just enjoy the music, streaming, CD's and LP's/

The Truth Is Out There