IGNORED

CDs in a Streaming World

mourip

Not sure if the title conveys what I want to start a discussion about.

I have a modest collection of CDs which have mostly been ripped and not are backed up in multiple places and can be accessed via Roon. I am not also enjoying the wide open world of new, to me, music via Qobuz through Roon.

I am not in a part of my life where I no longer am interested in accumulation and in fact want to divest of clutter and "stuff". I am thinking of disposing of all of my CDs now that they are ripped and safely backed up. I realize that there are many opinions out there regarding intellectual rights for recorded music. My tendancy is to just chew up the CDs and recycle them. My understanding is that legally if I keep the music files then I cannot really even donate the hard copy.

Have any of you dumped your CDs and just kept the files? I figure that worst case I can always use Qobuz or another service to listen to most of my music in the event of a catastrophic loss.

I am not so much looking for a legal discussion, just wondering what others have done or are considering.

Thanks!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Thanks for all of the input. I guess my main motivation in wanting to lose the physical media is to save space. A couple of big hard drives, one being off site, do not take up much room. Actually I hardly listen to my own material lately with such a wide open world available on Qobuz. I do realize that there is no guarantee that a given recording will still be there in a month but for now I am just exploring. I have not tossed them yet just pondering!

Best,

Paul

System

• 3 months later...

I went for it and "recycled" all of my ~1000 CD's. Since they were already burned to files and backed up in multiple locations I have not lost the music. It felt great to get rid of the clutter. For the last ten years I have only spun a CD to burn it anyway. I can still do that. I just will not keep hard copy any longer.

I mostly listen to Qobuz now which gives me a world of new music to explore along with my own burned files via Roon.

System

Folks. I was just wondered if anyone else had decided to purge their music hardcopy. It was just a practical question. BTW. I must apologise. For those who were confused by finding the word "not" in the OP please substitute "now". Although English is my first language I am an execrable typist.

For those who want to rail against the establishment: I am thinking that no one read this part of my original post: 

"I am not so much looking for a legal discussion, just wondering what others have done or are considering."

Please consider starting yet another copyright thread.

Thanks.

System

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nonsense removed. 

Thanks Chris. I did not see them but can easily imagine 🙂

And thanks to those who offered their personal take on physical storage.

If it were not for Qobuz I would not have tossed the CDs.

@Confused. Thanks for the remark regarding format. If I had to burn an entire collection again I would not use ALAC either, I would use FLAC. Using ALAC was just easy and accessible at the time...

For those who have not been drawn to use HiDef downloads in favor of CDs, I actually agree. Most of my favorite music came from a burned CD. Having said that, my music files sound better as a file played via Roon than from any CD player that I have ever had access to.

System