IGNORED

Time for Slow Listening - Genelec paper on listening

semente

On 2/24/2020 at 8:30 AM, semente said:

Time for Slow Listening

THOMAS LUND, AKI MAKIVIRTA, AND SIAMAK NAGHIAN (Genelec Oy)

Abstract

Conscious perception is influenced by long-term experience and learning, to an extent that it might be more accurately understood and studied as primarily a reach-out phenomenon, at least in adults. Considering human hearing, time is a deciding factor on several scales, and the sensory information flow rate, otherwise termed the perceptual bandwidth, is modest. We introduce the term “slow listening” and discuss how new findings from other fields of science should be taken into account in pro audio, for instance when conducting subjective tests, and when preserving content for future generations to enjoy.

Lund_Time for slow listening.pdf 152.21 kB · 29 downloads

"Using traditional subjective testing, it has proven difficult to argue clearly in favor of higher data-rates than 48 kHz/24bit linear PCM per channel [12]. The same kind of tests, however, have also been used to promote lossy data reduction, where most audio information is discarded, though anyone interested in sound today notice warbling “space monkey” artifacts and collapsed imaging across platforms, be it broadcast, YouTube, music streaming or phone.....

At least three  temporal time-scales—the 400 ms grey zone, auditory fatigue, and long-term learning effects— should be taken into account in audio standardization, so our society is not used to rubber-stamp vulgarisation in recording, storage or distribution."

Confirms what I thought that short term quick listening comparisons do not fully take account how we perceive sound. Our brain/ears are not a mechanical measuring device - the main concern I have about objectification is how everything is assumed at some level to be a machine...

Thanks for posting @semente

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

12 hours ago, tapatrick said:

"Using traditional subjective testing, it has proven difficult to argue clearly in favor of higher data-rates than 48 kHz/24bit linear PCM per channel [12]. The same kind of tests, however, have also been used to promote lossy data reduction, where most audio information is discarded, though anyone interested in sound today notice warbling “space monkey” artifacts and collapsed imaging across platforms, be it broadcast, YouTube, music streaming or phone.....

At least three  temporal time-scales—the 400 ms grey zone, auditory fatigue, and long-term learning effects— should be taken into account in audio standardization, so our society is not used to rubber-stamp vulgarisation in recording, storage or distribution."

Confirms what I thought that short term quick listening comparisons do not fully take account how we perceive sound. Our brain/ears are not a mechanical measuring device - the main concern I have about objectification is how everything is assumed at some level to be a machine...

Thanks for posting @semente

Just because "traditional subjective testing" hasn't shown >24/48 is needed doesn't mean that it is needed, right?

I have no qualms with them suggesting and trying other forms of non-traditional testing so long as it seems to be a reasonably valid reflection of human perception, but let's remember that hi-res has been with us audiophiles since the late 1990's! After more than 2 decades (long enough for "slow listening" I think 😉), the fact that it doesn't have much demand in the marketplace already tells us much of what we need to know...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

P.S.: in regard to the PlayClassics file format comparison I must to stress that my bias was until then firmly leaning towards "there's no difference" based on the writings and videos of people like Lavry, Levin, Monty, Siau, Stuart, Weiss, etc.

And I am still mostly buying CDs, mainly for economic reasons but also because I don't find that in most cases the price difference justifies the sonic benefits. I only buy high res downloads that are on sale.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)