IGNORED

Objectivity without measurements

59 minutes ago, mfsoa said:

She can also easily tell me the difference between an original CD, one burned onto a silver disc and one onto a gold disc but that one is pretty easy.

Many people have found this to be true, with discs such as MAM Gold sounding markedly better compared with the typical normal brand name Supermarket CD-Rs .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

You keep spreading this marketing BS - Alfe

Al

Sorry, but this isn't marketing bullshit.:P

I am referring here to what the discs are known as, NOT how they are made, and confirming what the other poster said about different types of discs sounding audibly different, just like Blu Spec do as another example.

In the attached, Martin Colloms compared both generic Supermarket brand name CD-Rs and MAM " Gold " CD-Rs with exactly the same contents that I  sent him.

Quite a bit of the listening was performed under NON SIGHTED conditions in July 2016.

Alex

"not auditioned  for all tracks  , but randomly selected
scores in % 

1.  cd1gold 

a Dylan 1,2     2 clearer, firmer bass line, cleaner transients   +20%
7 ,8       7 better , more communicative, firmer definition with better timing by  15%
9, 10    10   better, clearer crisper better focus and staging  +18%

2.  cd1 silver  

1,2         2 better, but by a less  margin  8%
7,8          7 better           but also less  8%
etc

3.  Classical Gold  ( silver results  in brackets )

Mahler  1,2 :    2 is substantially, better, by  35%,  improved decay tails   percussion pitch and reverb
9, 10  'lightning'  9  sounds  40% better than 10, with crisper bass 'thunder' , more drive and impact

4. Classical  silver results  9 better than 10 , but   differences less marked now  say 20%

5. Pop   Gold CD
  1, 2 Ascent  :  2 better by 20 %,   more attack and reverb , better dynamics
  7,8 : 7 beats 8  slightly better dynamics , poor track  maybe 10% gain

My wife could hear the differences very easily too , I did a few blind comparisons and she had no problem scoring and describing subjective differences
 had things to do at this juncture.......................
thanks for arranging the trial,  should I send the discs back for others to test?

BTW great sounds from the 'good' tracks on the gold discs

You will let me know the basis for the differences....
Kind regards
  Martin

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

29 minutes ago, alfe said:

The quality depends on the stamper usage, the quality of the groove, the birefringence, the flatness of the substrate, the dye....not gold vs silver.

I made no claims about what the discs were made of , just what they are known as.

In this case , the reflective layer is made of 24K Gold

https://www.american-digital.com/support/details/mam-a_gold_cd-r.asp

18 minutes ago, alfe said:

Blue spec CD's....can't make any comment:)

Blu-spec CD describes an Audio CD manufactured by a proprietary process introduced by Sony Music Entertainment (SME) in late 2008. Its name derives from the similar manufacturing process to that used to create Blu-Ray Discs. Instead of a traditional infra-red laser, a blue laser is used for recording the pits on the CD master that is needed for disc replication. The blue laser creates more precise pits, causing less distortion in the optical read-out process. SME claims that this results in higher-quality audio when playing back a Blu-spec CD.A Blu-spec CD can be played on all CD players and does not require a blue laser to be read. ”

6 minutes ago, alfe said:

As well as this, the files burned to a MAM Gold, exhibited even greater audible differences than those burned to a " silver" CD-R.

I have already posted a copy of the report by Martin Colloms back in a previous reply.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh boy, here we go again.

Alfe just quoted me about this. Did you expect me to ignore this dig at me ?  #57

3 minutes ago, alfe said:

It look that I'm the next on your list, stop stalking me and just ban me.

I seriously doubt that this is the case. All that I see is a robust discussion.

58 minutes ago, alfe said:

MAM CD-Rs are good because of the flatness of their substrate, the quality of the dye,stamper....the thing called manufacturing process:)

At least we did manage to agree about this.¬¬

G'night from N.S.W. Au.