IGNORED

Objectivity without measurements

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 8:23 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think I must be blind. I still don't see anything related to reflectivity.

My take: somehow differences in CDs causing SQ differences got brought up in this supposedly objective thread.

One of the *worlds experts* on CD-R got baited into commenting, and he posted some links ... with objective data... no doubt @alfe has well deserved opinions on various CD-R but bringing up the topic in the first place, without objective data, nor objective reasoning,  was inappropriate for this thread in this subforum... I can’t blame @alfe for getting baited to responding, nor was the response derogatory nor personal ... just my perspective 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is a meta thread about objectivity without measurement: to be very clear, there is theoretical physics vs experimental physics. This thread would be about the former. 

@alfe: We are all vastly more likely to be playing music 🎼 off the more recent devices you’ve designed rather than those you designed >10 years ago ... you’ve moved on, we’ve all moved on, the SQ of various CD-R is of historial interest. An interesting question for me is: what is the optimal combination of size and configuration of discs to prevent data loss. Personally I mirror 4TB SAS drives, into zvols: this this still SOA for data integrity? Should I replace drives after X years even if they don’t show errors?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just don't get why he was pushing reflectivity when nobody here was pushing reflectivity.  

My *guess* is that he doesn’t care for Mitsui “gold” as opposed to TY “silver” but thats digging way back into my archives, IIRC gold vs silver has zilch to do with CD-R longevity because it’s the dye ... 😂

Custom room treatments for headphone users.