IGNORED

Improving Ethernet cables

29 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Tell me guys, what's the relationship between Chord Electronics (the DAC folks) and Chord Company (cables company and I assume this product)?

There is no relationship between the two companies AFAIK apart from both being British. The product under discussion reminds me  of Tweak for those that remember it.

Well, there's Deoxit that I use on RAM slots and connectors that are in airflows and that stuff works, by removing gunge and baring back the base conducting materials, so the materials actually can work again. Application of Deoxit saved a 10 yo workstation with memory problems from the scrap heap, and after eight weeks, it's still going strong, not one memory error.

Deoxit is about a 1/10th of the price of ChordOhmic Transmission Fluid, I would like to see long term effects of this material on conducted metals plus insulation, and also a spray! Still will use Deoxit though.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

46 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Well, there's Deoxit that I use on RAM slots and connectors that are in airflows and that stuff works, by removing gunge and baring back the base conducting materials, so the materials actually can work again. Application of Deoxit saved a 10 yo workstation with memory problems from the scrap heap, and after eight weeks, it's still going strong, not one memory error.

Deoxit is about a 1/10th of the price of ChordOhmic Transmission Fluid, I would like to see long term effects of this material on conducted metals plus insulation, and also a spray! Still will use Deoxit though.

That's it, the Caig DeoxIT Gold (used to be called ProGold until 2006). I still have a bottle in the garage. Bought it back in the day for cleaning connectors. Do you use it on your audio connectors once awhile?

55 minutes ago, PAR said:

There is no relationship between the two companies AFAIK apart from both being British. The product under discussion reminds me  of Tweak for those that remember it.

That's a relief for the DAC folks!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

That's it, the Caig DeoxIT Gold (used to be called ProGold until 2006). I still have a bottle in the garage. Bought it back in the day for cleaning connectors. Do you use it on your audio connectors once awhile

After this summer has concluded is a scheduled pull down of the system, inspections, and the deoxit will be used for sure.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

9 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Not sure if this is a Subjective or Objective topic but assume CC will put it in the right place. Mostly intended just FYI. 

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/chord-companys-chordohmic-fluid-promises-improved-cable-signal-transfer?region-switch=1582409790

My own experience with Ethernet cables suggests that the main problem is that they don't like too many insertions and reinsertions ,and can cause intermittent or erratic performance due to contact wear . A while back I even had a short one connected to my Broadband router that intermittently caused very poor transfer speeds and it took a while to find out why. 

I recently lost my WiFi connection for several weeks after a security installation apparently locked up WiFi after 3 short term A.C. power losses and prevented connection to the WiFi connection from my PC. As the family was overseas, I had to press into service a long cable over the floor into where the Foxtel Hub was located. This cable wasn't quite long enough and I had to also use a short cable using a 4 position switch to extend the lead. When the family returned and turned off the security in the 3 bedrooms ,the Wi Fi became operational again.

With the  longer cable I had to change to different ports to maintain the connection, and the PC end of the shorter cable also caused intermittent problems.

As usual, you appear to  need to pay a little extra for recognised brand names, but we usually have no control of the quality of the receptacles.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, One and a half said:

FWIW, I have used both Caig DeoxIT Contact Cleaner spray and DeoxIT Gold spray for years and have neither experienced nor heard of any long term deleterious effects resulting from doing so. Neither product leaves any grunge on connectors. Caig currently offers a wide range of products for electronic equipment and their website contains several product selection guides. Caig website

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

David

What I have seen is the wear of the contact pins where areas of the thin plating can be seen worn off, and in a couple of instances looked poor to start with. I shouldn't have had to move to the next socket of the switch to keep it working either, even resorting to once getting it working again to use some adhesive tape to retain the cable in the " sweet" spot. It also suggests poor manufacturing tolerances of either the switch  sockets , or in this case a fairly loose fitting plug to start with. Gently cleaning the pins didn't help either. Many 2.1mm to 2.5mm DC sockets and plugs are poor in this area too.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020