IGNORED

One man's Jewels; another man's Junk or Load

Iving

I've always looked at it somewhat selfishly. It is my hobby. I don't feel the need to justify it. Anything I might sell it for later is a bonus for me or whomever. I feel that I must add it seems you are underestimating the effort it takes to sell things. It's work.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

If I read you right, I agree it takes a lot of time-consuming work to sell records etc online. Sifting, research, valuation, cleaning and restoration, photographing, accurate listing speaking the buyers' language, dealing courteously with enquiries, negotiating, packing (shellac demands particular care), prompt shipping, feedback etc. 

All of this is a barrier to liquidating our media assets.

And even more so if what we own is inherited by others without the same passion and experience.

I sold off most of my vinyl collection to 2 close friends who find records more enjoyable then digital music. I saved 17 albums which are all valued between $35-500 a piece.  Those are more keepsakes to talk about when my friends are over.  My CD's (2,000ish) are all stored in plastic bins and will probably either go to a family member or I'll donate them to the local library.   

I have a list of the albums and their value (circa 2018) on a spreadsheet for my family to sell If I was to pass, so they can get some sort of cash for them.  My buddies would probably buy those up too for a reasonable price.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

4 hours ago, ShawnC said:

I sold off most of my vinyl collection to 2 close friends who find records more enjoyable then digital music. I saved 17 albums which are all valued between $35-500 a piece.  Those are more keepsakes to talk about when my friends are over.  My CD's (2,000ish) are all stored in plastic bins and will probably either go to a family member or I'll donate them to the local library.   

I have a list of the albums and their value (circa 2018) on a spreadsheet for my family to sell If I was to pass, so they can get some sort of cash for them.  My buddies would probably buy those up too for a reasonable price.

Some folks deeply regretted disposing of their vinyl - you don't seem to be one of them.

Your CDs are in plastic bins and you're willing to give them away - another healthy detachment! I'm still archiving mine like an anorak. I still wonder whether there'll be a market for CDs in the future - good reasons for owning them.

If ever you'd like to consider me a buddy I'd be happy to see your vinyl list via PM. 🙂

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I've thought about this and would love to find some younger person to leave my system to - but only someone who would appreciate it. 

I fortunately don't have a lot of LPs and CDs - I moved from LP to CD fairly quickly, and then to computer based playback - so LP and CD collections aren't large. But again, I'd like to find someone to leave the LPs to who will appreciate them, and not just sell them off. I do have quite a few from back in the day that would be coveted. 

One thing that might be a good idea: make a separate list of the valuable LPs and their price and of the resale value of the equipment and include it with your will, with instructions that those specific items need to be sold for something close to market value, and not to a liquidator. That's assuming, of course, you don't find a friend or relative to leave your stuff to. 

For me that's dream territory - that someone might appreciate what I have appreciated.

I hope not in a vain way i.e. imagining that they imagine me in any way.

Just that there is a leg up to amazing music for someone somewhere.

When I acquire new stock, often from estates, it's natural to think about the previous owner.

I consider that putting stuff back into circulation is a positive thing even if I'm making a little money.

I guess a lot gets thrown away when people die.

I'm not afraid of that so much - more tbh that someone less deserving than my kids gets all my hard work for next to nothing. 

Yes I already thought of leaving notes with my will.

I don't fret too much. I have faith in a meaningful universe even if it doesn't feel like that sometimes. 

When I'm dead I'm dead. Anyway - I hear they are way ahead of us in heaven. Amazing SQ I hear. And no-one bickering. Can you imagine.

8 hours ago, Iving said:

Some folks deeply regretted disposing of their vinyl - you don't seem to be one of them.

Your CDs are in plastic bins and you're willing to give them away - another healthy detachment! I'm still archiving mine like an anorak. I still wonder whether there'll be a market for CDs in the future - good reasons for owning them.

If ever you'd like to consider me a buddy I'd be happy to see your vinyl list via PM. 🙂

Not afraid to list here, but not for sale in the near future.  Most my collection started early and was rock orientated.  My older sister dated a guitar player and his brother worked for Asia security.  So I had a lot of insight on how to meet bands and if your going to collect stuff buy two copies.  Once CD's came around, If I could afford it I'd buy the CD and Vinyl versions.  I either bought these albums new or within a year of their release.  I'd consider most as Very Good Plus value.  What's left is mostly sentimental and most are signed by all the band members or the lead singer, thus altering the actual value of the album.

AC/DC - Back in Black - unopened

Alice N Chains - Facelift - signed 

Beatles - White Album - Red vinyl Japanese

Blind Melon - Blind Melon - signed

Bon Jovi - Bon Jovi - signed

Candlebox - Lucy - unopened

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction - uncensored cover

Iron Maiden - Powerslave - signed

- Piece Of Mind - signed

Megadeth - Rust In Peace - signed

Metallica - Kill Em All - Original Megaforce release 

Nirvana - Nevermind - unopened   

Ozzy Osbourne - Ultimate Sin - signed

Poison - Look What The Cat Dragged In - signed

Smashing Pumpkins - Gish - signed

- Siamese Dreams - signed

Skid Row - Skid Row - signed 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

5 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

Not afraid to list here, but not for sale in the near future.  Most my collection started early and was rock orientated.  My older sister dated a guitar player and his brother worked for Asia security.  So I had a lot of insight on how to meet bands and if your going to collect stuff buy two copies.  Once CD's came around, If I could afford it I'd buy the CD and Vinyl versions.  I either bought these albums new or within a year of their release.  I'd consider most as Very Good Plus value.  What's left is mostly sentimental and most are signed by all the band members or the lead singer, thus altering the actual value of the album.

AC/DC - Back in Black - unopened

Alice N Chains - Facelift - signed 

Beatles - White Album - Red vinyl Japanese

Blind Melon - Blind Melon - signed

Bon Jovi - Bon Jovi - signed

Candlebox - Lucy - unopened

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction - uncensored cover

Iron Maiden - Powerslave - signed

- Piece Of Mind - signed

Megadeth - Rust In Peace - signed

Metallica - Kill Em All - Original Megaforce release 

Nirvana - Nevermind - unopened   

Ozzy Osbourne - Ultimate Sin - signed

Poison - Look What The Cat Dragged In - signed

Smashing Pumpkins - Gish - signed

- Siamese Dreams - signed

Skid Row - Skid Row - signed 

Nice story and nice list.

That sort of vinyl is a far better financial investment  than money in the bank.

Thanks for sharing.

18 hours ago, Iving said:

Since then I became an online dealer, and now have just thousands upon thousands of records and CDs - more music than I could listen to in several lifetimes

So does this explain your signature, or is it for other reasons?  Sorry if its OT.

My rig

18 minutes ago, Foggie said:

So does this explain your signature, or is it for other reasons?  Sorry if its OT.

Partly

So I already have all I need or I can top up what's missing inexpensively.

But tbh it's mainly that I hate commercial environments around my personal listening. At its best music is transcendent - not to do with money.

My personality explains all my habits tho'!

Edit: I should say by commercial environments I mean mainly online subscription services or anything that tries to do my thinking for me.

21 minutes ago, Iving said:

Partly

So I already have all I need or I can top up what's missing inexpensively.

But tbh it's mainly that I hate commercial environments around my personal listening. At its best music is transcendent - not to do with money.

My personality explains all my habits tho'!

Edit: I should say by commercial environments I mean mainly online subscription services or anything that tries to do my thinking for me.

Interesting.  I don't either (in main rig) but its mainly do to supporting the artist as much as possible.  Anyway I don't want to side track this topic.

My rig

On 2/21/2020 at 7:21 PM, Iving said:

If I read you right, I agree it takes a lot of time-consuming work to sell records etc online. Sifting, research, valuation, cleaning and restoration, photographing, accurate listing speaking the buyers' language, dealing courteously with enquiries, negotiating, packing (shellac demands particular care), prompt shipping, feedback etc. 

All of this is a barrier to liquidating our media assets.

And even more so if what we own is inherited by others without the same passion and experience.

No, I think you missed that I do not feel that selling the equipment will be as easy as you indicated either. I happen to have A LOT of excess equipment in part because of this. Selling an item to a hobbyist is much more time consuming than to a business or lay person. I am a bit amazed by some of the questions and concerns I have encountered not to mention deals gone awry for something silly or stupid.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

OK ... Gotcha

Yes - if I want to sell a record or CD, I have ready access to a world-wide market - and shipping is both feasible and affordable, even for shellac.

Having taken the pair to the yard on a bright day to photograph them, I put QUAD ESL 57s on eBay clearly expressing "collection only". People still asked whether I will ship. I'm still a little fascinated that someone asked, "Are they kept outside?"

On my commercial account for records and CDs, I'm happy with the long game. That means I don't rush to sell by Auction to anyone. I list with an "optimistic" price inviting Best Offer. That way you get to review a potential Buyer's personality under their "Feedback Left" tab before you start to negotiate. I am a very reasonable person btw! Anyway - better keep it brief lest I surrender all my best trading secrets 😉

59 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

You have to be into harp music I think

lol nice

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Sadly, last April I lost my best friend of 40 years.

He arranged for me to assist his wife in all things to do with the sale.

Edit - I was able to cobble together a whole second more modest system from 'left-overs' - spare gear so the widow could still listen to music.

Your best friend (and his wife) was very lucky to know someone as generous as you.

Is everyone in Australia as nice? ;-) I've never been.

17 minutes ago, Iving said:

Which bit is the "option"?

"I’ve gone to therapy for 40 years to try to explain this to myself".

?

🙂

I have a neighbour who has a comprehensive collection of opera recordings, and he is concerned with the very premise of your thread - I tracked down this Brazillian chap for him; seems to be the right place to send it off to, as he has no-one in the family sense who is interested, it seems.

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

I have a neighbour who has a comprehensive collection of opera recordings, and he is concerned with the very premise of your thread - I tracked down this Brazillian chap for him; seems to be the right place to send it off to, as he has no-one in the family sense who is interested, it seems.

Got it.

Does this guy Zero accept allcomers I wonder.

Shipping freight costs alone could be substantial - and packing might require expert attention, especially for shellac.

10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

This gives a feeling of what's going on,

Of interest to me:

He doesn't want (too much) American Country music!

He'll have to watch those plastic sleeves (when archiving) - they look a bit sticky to me - after a few years they'll be stuck to the Cover - the issue with inner sleeves is even more serious - NEVER store vinyl in poly or poly-lined inners ESPECIALLY AFTER CLEANING - there's a high risk of scarring arising from chemical interaction - always use paper inners - the risk of scratching that you'll never see or hear is way less significant than the disappointment you may experience retrieving something treasured after years and finding it trash-worthy.

Probably I missed the bit about his willingness to collect. I don't doubt you at all - but I bet he's just a little selective 😉