IGNORED

Why are objective assessments important...

On 2/21/2020 at 12:05 PM, tapatrick said:

As you seem to be a helpful person I have some basic questions as I have very little understanding of measurements or their meaning. I know what a frequency curve is and the importance of low jitter and noise levels etc. but I'd much rather read a review by someone who knows how to interpret the measurements presented.

Apart from the obvious (noise spikes or reduced frequency range), opinion seems to be that these are open to interpretation or only show a partial picture of what constitutes the sound coming from system. I spend time on DIY forums and I put together basic components and modify them following the advice or example of those more qualified - changing wiring, building cables, replacing capacitors and replacing clocks etc as I like to tinker then try them by listening carefully over several weeks of trial in order to hopefully enhance my system. For instance my reference source is a $50 chinese SD card player heavily modified and powered by LifePO4/Ultracaps. So my interest in measurements is in relation to things like this.

For myself and other non techies could you please list the types of measurements everyone is referring to and any good resources to understand the relationship between these and sound quality? Thanks in advance

Hi @tapatrick,

Yeah, very good question but a broad one also...

I think it starts at first principles which is that we need to appreciate the limits of human hearing; from there we can then talk about specifics like what makes a frequency response "sound different", what noise levels we need be concerned about, then the time domain parameters like phase shifts and related words like "group delay", etc...

I suggest making sure you read this first:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/10/musings-meditations-on-limitations-of.html

In it, I speak about some of these basics. Then perhaps we can touch on each of these measurement parameters and see if together we can discuss the implications and where we can find evidence of audibility and significance then look at the hi-fi gear we own and see if these characteristics may be inadequate. Some of this I've discussed in my blog and will point there as appropriate...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

22 hours ago, fas42 said:

And that is how one can be "objective" in areas where the people usually will use the term, subjective ...what one does is use tracks of music whose content very strongly provokes the system playback to distort - the anomalies are obviously audible; so in that area it's a fail, for the setup.

The process of "sorting out" is eliminating each of the failure 'modes', one by one.

Sure, it's good to one-by-one look at issues and sort them out in our systems. Over time, this should lead to optimization as the system "evolves" to resolve audible issues...

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

37 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Howdy, just curious whether you're familiar with Bregman's "Auditory Scene Analysis", and subsequent research?

Not familiar with this Frank.

I see there's a review here that seems like a good read perhaps:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2011.00158/full

What are your thoughts on this?

15 hours ago, fas42 said:

Yes, would be worth diving in ... note a thread over on ASR, where John Kenny and I posted a lot of thoughts, and links on this area of research, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/auditory-scene-analysis.236/

Thanks Frank,

I'll take a look at the review first and consider. The thread looks pretty unwieldy and will need to have a look at the basics first to see if the topic seems to correlate significantly towards audiophilia...

On 2/23/2020 at 9:10 AM, John Dyson said:

For people who aren't tied up in with strong opinons, I see the disagreement between those who tend to be 100% subjective vs. those of us who tend (but not 100%) objective partially described in the following statement:  it is mostly related to the fact that SOMETIMES it is difficult to measure certain impairments.   I think that people move towards the subjective out of frustration caused by inadequate objective information.  (There can probably be a lot of  reasons for the incomplete/inadequate objective information.)

Some of the problems with objective review might include: the impairments aren't adequately defined/described, sometimes the impairments are difficult to measure, and sometimes even the impairments come from multiple sources that meld together into something wrong with the sound.

Example: on the case of TIM, which can really exist (and used to REALLY exist in older designs), we didn't initially 1) understand what caused the impairment, and 2) it can be tricky to measure, esp with techniques used in the '60s/'70s.   TIM is a sibling of modulation distortion in gain control devices also, it happens when signals are changing character...  It can take a while to understand,define, describe an impariment well enough to quantify it.  TIM and siblings can be tricky to measure, and there more than 'one' kind of TIM in the sense it is dependent on lots of variables.   This is ONE example that might have discredited 'measurements' in some peoples minds.

This doesn't mean that objective measurement can be discredited, in fact when it is applicable, it must be a PRIMARY way of evaluating a design, and eventually the subjective becomes a double check.  On the other hand, complex designs can demand certain kinds of testing where there is no appropriate measurement device.  Subjective evaluation is needed until (if ever) an objective method is developed.

Hi John, yes, well put!

Many of the fights we get into originates from the "all or none", "black or white", "100%" mindset. As mature adults, we know that the only way to handle the complexities of life (of which the squabbles of audiophilia is but a tiny microcosm) is to find the middle ground... The "shade of grey" between the subjective and objective. Some things do need to be "more subjective" just as my preference is to be "more objective" when it comes to audiophile gear.

It's sad to see how there was a time when at least we appreciated some of the "basics" of objective analysis (like Bill mentioned about JGH and phono frequency response). These days, the majority of online sites and at least a big proportion if not the majority of magazines have taken out even a simple frequency response; much less consideration for noise level or time-domain characteristics.

In part, I think that as technology has progressed, we can often "assume" that most devices are quite "good" already. Or at least good enough that most listeners will not hear a problem. While technically not great, it's fine when the subjectivist reviewer doesn't hear a problem with a DAC but yet John Atkinson measures relatively high jitter... Since jitter (IMO) was never a terrible boogeyman, the device still "sounds good" assuming the rest of the performance is reasonable. The issue then becomes one of "value" for the price (given suboptimal engineering), and whether it would be appropriate for the company to hype up a product as "one of the best DACs in the world" for example.

I can certainly agree with the idea that objective parameters should take primacy in design and then of course confirmed with listening. Sure, we have some products "designed by ear" and who knows, some will sound good as well. Probably best to at least double check with objective measures if something is designed by the ears of a man with many decades of life behind him 😲.

When it comes to audible distortions, using multiple blinded listening tests to identify and verify audible anomalies then use objective testing to measure the problem probably is the best way to effectively weed out issues, and keep findings relevant (eg. audible TIM back in the day might be an example). These days, the "golden ears" who claim to hear differences but never bother to run a blind test to prove to themselves and others that the impression is anything more than a mirage would not be helpful in this endeavor.

I can give parallels to the situation on my current project -- but I do not want to divert attention from the matter at hand.  The bottom line is that objective measurement and evaluation is critical for a design to be created and completed.  A pure 'design by sounds good' is only going to work for the most simple design with simple interactions.   A 'design by spec' and requirements to meet objective criteria is important for a non-trivial design to be workable.

NOTE:  design by finding 'sweet spots' and avoiding 'rabbit holes' is NOT the best engineering design method and can sometimes make the best of us into a sucker, wasting lots of time doing tweaking.   If the tweaking can be avoided, then tweaking MUST be avoided and it is very worthwhile to sit down and do a real design -- the worst of time wasting chasing rabbits into rabbit holes can be avoided.

On conventional circuitry and software, where the specifications, requirements and behavior can be accurately measured, almost pure objective design is best.  Secondary subjective review is also important, sometimes specs and measurements miss details that are unforseen.

On complex circuitry and software, that is, 'stuff that hasn't been done very often', then subjective review is so important, but objective focus is necessary -- the degrees of freedom and interactions could cause a 'design by sounds good' to become a random walk, falling into rabbit holes all of the time.

I think your current project with the "feral" Dolby A material is a beautiful example and some of the results I've heard certainly speaks to this. A nice melding of the objective science of how the old analogue noise-reduction system worked with its various filter bands yet there is the need for subjective listening to get the variables sounding "right" - the "art" side of things... A reflection of how folks in the studio also used their ears to tweak the music for the best sound and would have applied customized settings here and there to achieve the ultimate goal.

Needless to say, the moment we have real music involved (not just reproduction of "data" with high fidelity), there is no option but to integrate "art" and subjectivity into the equation.

WIth my mostly objective view, sometimes I must unfortunately depend on my hearing, or accept input from other peoples perception.  Very often, the subjective feedback has been helpful in resolving actual bugs that I couldn't measure.   Subjective feedback from uncontrolled experiments is notoriously unreliable though -- and must be considered on a statistical basis and not as a measurement with negligible error.   Subjective review can become so distorted and become totally emotional.   When feedback is too distorted by emotion and/or all of the human foibles that can affect subjective review, then that data source should be ignored.  I run into that problem all of time, and must quit depending even on my own senses  -- human perception is definitely unreliable, but good information can often be derived.

Both subjective and objective review are necessary -- but each has it's limitations.

In a way, after a person really considers and truly understands the complexity of their equipment, I cannot imagine why someone would be strongly biased away from objective review.   It just doesn't make sense to disparage good objective review of any technical device.   Subjective review is important also -- it is the attitude that disparages one or the other -- doesn't make sense.

John

"Subjective feedback from uncontrolled experiments is notoriously unreliable though". Yes, for sure. I suspect most audiophiles appreciate this fact even though strangely enough, it seems like some have unwavering faith in certain high profile "golden ears"... "In Mr. Purely Subjectivist Reviewer's ears we trust!" Without a fair amount of critical thinking, seems a little dangerous 😟.

Thanks again for the work and thoughtful insights John.

19 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

The relevance of measurements in audio seems to be a popular theme at the moment.

We know from other threads here and elsewhere that it is difficult to completely correlate objective measurements of an audio signal with subjective perceptions of what that measured signal will sound like to a human listener.

Measurements of the audio signal are not direct measurements of perception. They are surrogates or indirect markers. In medicine such markers are used all the time but the difference is we know how that indirect marker compares to a gold standard test of what you think you are measuring. It's just calibration of one tool against another known, and more accurate, tool.

Hmmm, let's hold off on the medical lab test analogy because I think we can make a case with examples of almost anything we want to argue about depending on which tests we're talking about! 😃

The way I see it, the measurements we do in audio are actually very correlated to what we hear already! Other than the rare birds like jitter and TIM which I agree can be surrogate measurements, key measured parameters like frequency response is highly correlated to sound quality of speakers and listener preferences (like the Harman research). Noise level likewise when high enough is clearly correlated to audibility and preference.

Let's talk about something like THD+N which commonly gets brought up. We have the luxury in 2020 to be blessed routinely with <0.01% THD+N DACs and through our vantage point say: "Oh, THD+N is meaningless and doesn't correlate with sound quality!"

Imagine if we lived in a time when source components went as low as 0.5% and often even went up to 5+% THD+N (still the case with low quality vinyl - anyone care to measure a Crosley turntable for example?). Back in those days, I imagine the objective number was seen as way more than a theoretical construct or questioned as to whether it made a difference! Of course it could be audible.

Every one of the distortions we typically use for measurements would lead to unwanted audible issues when severe enough. Even the dreaded but most likely toothless jitter boogeyman when high enough (as demonstrated) ruins the sound. To a real degree, it is thanks to technological progress that we have the luxury of subjectively expressing our preferences!

When devices often measured poorly say in the 40's to the early 80's, surely the focus on objective performance can be understood.

In my opinion, we haven't got that far in audio yet…….( this is despite blind testing. As a test tool, in my opinion it is not adequately calibrated and without known sensitivity, specificity, true and false positives/negatives, and positives and negative predictive values. Another topic).

I think implied in my response above is the idea that we have actually gone far enough already in many ways - especially for 2-channel audio! While there may be some things here and there to find, I think the technology is well mature. To go beyond might not be the domain of the hardware audiophile hobby as I'll discuss below.

Still, in my opinion there is hope. By definition, irrespective of how complex a perception is, it must have an evoking stimulus. That is basic neurobiology. I am excluding things here like hallucinations and the huge topic of central modulation in the nervous system.

So, the stimulus in this case is an audio signal followed by sound waves in air. The principle is pretty straightforward in that you can study that stimulus to observe what changes in the stimulus correlate, and are concordant with, some sort of change in perception.

I mentioned elsewhere that I don't think it should be terribly difficult to study such things as dynamic range measurement and compare that with our subjective evaluation of compressed or dynamic sound perception. Similarly, frequency response that doesn't extend down into the bottom octaves of music is expected to sound a certain way, or at least lacking a certain sound.

Actually, my hope for high fidelity products need not go this far. Beginning at the source, all we really have are our CDs, vinyl, and digital downloads (tapes, cylinders, etc...). All that we can ever recover or "hear" is in that data. If we can completely, transparently reproduce that "source" with a perfect turntable, perfect CD player, perfect DAC... No losses in the cabling... No losses in the preamp... "Perfect" amplifier to a perfect speaker/headphone that can "faithfully" (as in "high fidelity") reproduce what the data encoded in that source is, then that is all we can hope to do. "Transparency" to the source content is all that we can ever achieve. What happens in the mind neurobiologically is of no direct concern to high-fidelity audio reproduction or to hi-fi companies even though it would be very interesting academically.

To go "beyond hi-fi" would be to research psychoacoustics, which I think is what you're starting to suggest. How do we measure or even create mental effects such as "virtual 3D sound", "being in a stadium", expand perceived dynamic range, enhance subtle details, etc... All of which likely is more than what's on the CD or vinyl or downloaded file (especially 2-channel material). But as a purist "high-fidelity audiophile", this is in the realm of perceptual enhancement rather than as an audiophile who wants the cleanest, uncolored, most direct, "shortest signal path" type of performance.

Whereas we can objectively measure and know "fidelity" to the source recording (what goes in is exactly what comes out of the transducers and enters the ear), what constitutes as perception of the sound (neurobiologically measured so we can know that the person perceives it as "good" or even "better"), can only be defined based on individual preferences and that person's unique perceptual machinery.

Suppose we even have that kind of capability to peer into the mind with some detail (IMO not possible in this generation including with EEG, MEG, and neuroimaging), what do we think DAC manufacturers or speaker manufacturers can do about it?

It seems to me that where we're at with objective measurements is to verify  that a piece of audio gear is performing to spec and maybe explore better and alternative designs. There are measured levels of jitter, various distortions, frequency response and so on. Some of these measurements can give us some insight into what the gear might sound like, how it is "voiced". But frustratingly to most audiophiles there is often a disconnect between the measurement of the device's performance and how it sounds.

To be honest, I don't feel this way at all! I typically listen to the gear, then put it on the test bench, then have another listen afterwards to see if I can hear significant anomalies found. More often than not, I agree with the measurements and where I am surprised, it's usually with the areas where I believe it makes little difference (again, jitter is a good example, and low level harmonic distortion and TIM might be another).

Like I said above, performance of gear is already very good and if we have a concept of the threshold of our own hearing limitations, the magnitude of the anomaly on the measurements will make sense. Then there's no frustration at all because one can accept that the anomaly is there but it makes no difference because one's ears/brain/listening ability would not be able to pick it up.

In time, as one accepts these limitations of the self, then some things become less important. People still ask me all the time if I prefer USB or SPDIF. To me it doesn't matter any more because the only difference unless there are bit errors or audible noise is jitter and even though TosLink has worse jitter, I believe it's inaudible. A person like Ted Smith can come along and claim his DAC sounds different because of "jitter"; well, unless he can show me evidence that his DAC has good jitter performance (which it does not), then it's probably fair to suggest he's wrong.

Does it matter if my Emotiva amp has -80dB THD+N compared to my Hypex with less than -90dB? No, because both Class AB and D amps are very good now, that's not what matters most anymore... Rather the difference in damping factor to control my speakers, the lower cost and the fact that the Class D uses much less electricity are objective parameters that matter to me now within normal listening levels. In terms of anomalies found, does it matter that the Hypex has a 400kHz switching noise? No, because I know from experience that I cannot hear it and there are easy ways to ameliorate the effect in the system...

This IMO is the "offer" and power of having an objective perspective - this is an opportunities to experience, develop awareness, and understanding for oneself. It's simply part of the hobby. Subjectivists IMO should engage with the objective side because they will learn something about audio gear and themselves; in the process I suspect many will not be as influenced by peer pressure 😉 of what they're "supposed" to hear or like. Likewise, objectivists should recognize that our perceptual abilities are unique (personal, subjective) and embrace the emotional side including pride of ownership and luxury as the case might be.

The implicit suggestion/understanding/belief that the better the device's measured performance the better the potential sound quality has strong face validity but it is not always borne out in reality. It probably holds more true in the converse, in that lousy measurements are probably going to translate into poor sound quality but even this does not hold completely true.

I agree this is not true that perfect measurements mean "better sound quality" to everyone. And this is because we can respect people's subjective opinions. There are those among us who love vinyl sound and will only partake of a purely analogue/vinyl feast 😀. Are they "wrong"? Of course not. But this doesn't mean that they are not listening to turntables with temporal distortions way "worse" than a few hundred picoseconds of jitter off the CD player. Or that their systems don't have relatively high noise levels and >1% THD. If a person considers this subjectively "better sound", so be it... No need to engage in a crusade.

This is why to me it doesn't matter what neurobiology is saying when it comes to the hardware goal. For some, what I might call distortion is heard as being euphonic. I don't mind knowing about it or even modelling the sound quality to see if I might enjoy the coloration... These preferences are idiosyncratic in nature and not something that we need to chase. Some like beer, others wine, others whiskey. But if ya wanna get intoxicated, make sure the EtOH content is objectively adequate :-). It all comes down to what we're aiming for.

In my opinion therefore we need to establish measurements of the audio signal that not just informs us how the device is performing, as important as that is, but informs us how the sound/music will be perceived, i.e. what will it sound like.

As above. I think that's important for neuroscience, not "hi-fi" audio engineering as per the hobby I believe I'm engaging in for the hardware sound reproduction side. Maybe one day when we can plug our brainstems into the system and hit the vestibulocochlear nerve, cochlear nuclei, inferior colliculi, or maybe directly to Heschl's gyrus, then we better know what's happening with neuronal firing patterns!

"How the sound/music will be perceived" IMO is not the job of this hobby but yours, the neuroscientist 😉.

What I think most subjectivists sceptically reject is the notion that excellent device specs translates into sonic transparency and the corollary, that an excellent set of specs means that the device will sound like any other device with the same specs. I don't think it is an unobtainable goal just think we're way off reaching it, in my opinion.

A man can reject all kinds of notions. The question is, does that man have a means to prove that his rejection is not based on biased opinion and variables outside of whatever governs the topic at hand?

Suppose we have 2 amps to listen to. A subjectivist might reject that these two well-designed, well-measured amplifiers "sound the same" within normal operating parameters. I can listen for myself and walk away disagreeing with him. Since it is only his opinion, unless he shows me that this is indeed the case with "honesty controls" (ie. controlled trials, blind testing), otherwise with what faith am I to have that his opinion reflects reality?

16 hours ago, tapatrick said:

@Archimago 

Thank you for taking the time to write so fully and in detail which fleshes out the complex nature of listening to music. I have highlighted a few phrases from your linked post that were most meaningful as a starting point. 

A pleasure @tapatrick. Nice chatting with you guys :-).

A. “The music we hear adds to the quality of life”

AMEN - the Alpha and the Omega

B. ”...there is a difference between what our neural mechanisms hear, and whether we actually are listening to it”

C. “This leads us into the broad, complex, and marvelous domain of cognition/psychology in hearing/listening. This is a topic which should really be on the forefront of audiophile discussions “

Well said and appreciate the space to now discuss your understanding of this. 

In relation to B. and in my experience I have found back and forth comparisons unsatisfactory (blind or not). Only longer term listening tells me whether I enjoy a setup. I can notice details between 2 setups/components or tweaks but the narrowing of attention through ‘listening’ restricts my ability to judge whether I like it or not. Like as in relation to A. above. 

Yeah, I can accept that we're going to have a broad variation depending on the person on how we experience longer term listening and ownership of a product.

My personal feeling is that over time, we tend to form opinions about equipment that might also be unrelated to sound quality itself. Hard to prove this. Sort of related to how with consumer goods, there's a tendency over time to catch "upgradeitis" and want something "different", not necessarily "better" sounding. A "7 year itch" perhaps - in the case of obsessive audiophiles, maybe even every 6 months 🙂. Not sure how one would dissociate this longterm tendency from actual adjudication of sound quality!

This I would imagine is related to the modes of the 2 hemispheres in our brain as in C above. 

On one occasion I had an acquaintance round for a listening session and we were comparing DACs. Because he was there we were listening intently and the differences were difficult to tell. I knew there were differences as I had noticed them many times over extended periods of back and forth. I was intrigued by this as my attention was altered by someone else being present. In discussions about this where there was not the interest this was dismissed as ‘expectation bias’ and delusion!

Very important observation and why in my article a few years back, I devoted a portion on the COGNITIVE component of listening; beyond the physiological limitations of the human ear/mind. Our ability to ATTEND is limited and so when we listen to music, the attention wanders in and out depending on all kinds of factors. Moods change. Attentiveness changes through the day. A song might "speak" to me more after a busy day at work compared to a weekend, etc...

I can imagine that the time with your friend represents a different state of mind compared to individual listening. The mental "mode" will be different. Your mind might be more attentive to the social atmosphere rather than engaged with critical listening to notice the difference.

To me, this again speaks to the importance of controlled listening because we are not machines, if we are to find consistency, we must make some attempts at identifying the relevant variables and take steps toward a disciplined approach.

“Art and science, subjective enjoyment and engineering virtuosity are complementary and together represent the fulfillment of this hobby (not to mention modern life!)...”

Absolutely... enough for now.  

Have fun! Enjoy the music...

FYI... Just posted some thoughts that originated in our discussions here.

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/03/musings-audio-music-audiophile-big.html

47 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Right in the middle of a busy morning, so haven't yet digested the article ... but on a glance through, noted this,

My thinking here this is completely on the other side of the fence - meaning that spending time and disposable income to get (the major) things right is only the start ... "sweating the small stuff" is the heart of the battle - IME, compromised SQ is all that can be accomplished, otherwise.

I disagree @fas42...

IMO, the need and incessant focus on the "small stuff" without insight I believe is a sign of the neuroticism which is the nidus at the heart of what over time eventually leads to madness 😱.

Careful, dear audiophiles. 😉

On 3/2/2020 at 5:52 AM, tapatrick said:

I think you have done a good job in your blog post of covering all the relevant areas involved from music production to listening. And maybe the conversation is now concluded. 

If only everyone would acknowledge and respect each others 'intent' as you put it then there would be a lot less misunderstanding. I am none the wiser which measurements matter but I have to say I'm now clear that measuring and analysing equipment outside of listening leaves me cold. I will leave that to others more qualified but I will keep an eye on developments.. :).

Hi @tapatrick

I have some thoughts about the "which measurements matter" question that I'll post on the blog in the next while...