IGNORED

Why are objective assessments important...

10 hours ago, STC said:

Our hearing is not flat nor consistent. It varies through out the day.

Certainly would explain a lot. I always wonder when listening faculties are treated as some kind of scientific instrument.  

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 2/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, tapatrick said:

Thanks @archimago! I understand these are broad questions so your thoughts are appreciated. I will digest 

@Archimago 

Thank you for taking the time to write so fully and in detail which fleshes out the complex nature of listening to music. I have highlighted a few phrases from your linked post that were most meaningful as a starting point. 

A. “The music we hear adds to the quality of life”

AMEN - the Alpha and the Omega

B. ”...there is a difference between what our neural mechanisms hear, and whether we actually are listening to it”

C. “This leads us into the broad, complex, and marvelous domain of cognition/psychology in hearing/listening. This is a topic which should really be on the forefront of audiophile discussions “

Well said and appreciate the space to now discuss your understanding of this. 

In relation to B. and in my experience I have found back and forth comparisons unsatisfactory (blind or not). Only longer term listening tells me whether I enjoy a setup. I can notice details between 2 setups/components or tweaks but the narrowing of attention through ‘listening’ restricts my ability to judge whether I like it or not. Like as in relation to A. above. 

This I would imagine is related to the modes of the 2 hemispheres in our brain as in C above. 

On one occasion I had an acquaintance round for a listening session and we were comparing DACs. Because he was there we were listening intently and the differences were difficult to tell. I knew there were differences as I had noticed them many times over extended periods of back and forth. I was intrigued by this as my attention was altered by someone else being present. In discussions about this where there was not the interest this was dismissed as ‘expectation bias’ and delusion!

“Art and science, subjective enjoyment and engineering virtuosity are complementary and together represent the fulfillment of this hobby (not to mention modern life!)...”

Absolutely... enough for now.  

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Apologies for the ‘shouty’ type. Pasted text while commuting and couldn’t edit. 🙃

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

There's a remarkably easy way to assess overall competence

!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Inspired by this thread I was curious to read today's The Long Read  at The  Guardian's webpage called "Why your brain is not a computer"

My short resume:  There seems to be a lot unclear in that area ...

A great read. 
if you haven’t come across it I highly recommend “The master and his emissary” by Ian McGilchrist. A masterpiece of both scientific research into the structure of our brains and philosophical implications. Does touch on some of the issues raised in this thread and beyond.  
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_and_His_Emissary

22 hours ago, Archimago said:

My personal feeling is that over time, we tend to form opinions about equipment that might also be unrelated to sound quality itself. Hard to prove this. Sort of related to how with consumer goods, there's a tendency over time to catch "upgradeitis" and want something "different", not necessarily "better" sounding. A "7 year itch" perhaps - in the case of obsessive audiophiles, maybe even every 6 months 🙂. Not sure how one would dissociate this longterm tendency from actual adjudication of sound quality!

Very refreshing to discuss being objective about subjectivity. For sure 'upgradeitiis' is a big component and blinkers our ability to be honest and straightforward about sound quality especially in relation to our own systems. In relation to your last sentence, I would consider development has occurred when the itch has been out grown as in a maturation of desire combined with perfecting ones system to a sufficiently satisfactory point or one has run out of money! :)  

22 hours ago, Archimago said:

Very important observation and why in my article a few years back, I devoted a portion on the COGNITIVE component of listening; beyond the physiological limitations of the human ear/mind. Our ability to ATTEND is limited and so when we listen to music, the attention wanders in and out depending on all kinds of factors. Moods change. Attentiveness changes through the day. A song might "speak" to me more after a busy day at work compared to a weekend, etc...

I will read your article.

I am aware of these modes and moods and how they change the experience. I have worked out that the only lingering dissatisfaction I have with my system has been narrowed down to lie in the region between 8-10khz. With some recordings I add a narrow sharp DSP cut in Roon at 8khz and then I can sink back in my seat and get lost in the music again. Some detail and 'air' is lost but the whole is made better. My interest in being objective about my subjectivity is so that I can get lost in the listening experience as one of life's great pleasures. As an artist I require this in order to set my imagination free. 

23 hours ago, Archimago said:

Have fun! Enjoy the music...

For sure, you too! :)

24 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I don't know.

I don't know but I want to know is a profound position to adopt....

9 hours ago, Archimago said:

BUT... Coming back to the thread title, we must still contend with the fact that the vast majority of that "nourishment" is a result of the art itself (ie. music), and not confuse that with the devices we're using to convey the sound. The machines we use to reproduce the music are conduits for the art and IMO the job is to transmit the signals that encode the art. And objective analysis is the primary way of determining that these devices are performing to expectations.

I have met McGilchrist too and asked him some questions - a great man.

Agree wholeheartedly but I do not have the training or experience so this might be a good point to ask:

• what are the measurements that can be made, or should be made in relation to analysing performance of equipment?

• and secondly overall sound quality

• what equipment can be used/bought for home use?

• how do you make and record these?

• how can we 'view' them?

• what should we be looking for in the measurements?

5 hours ago, Iving said:

the octane quality of my musical kicks.

...a line from a punk rock anthem with appropriate guitar riff..:)

On 2/23/2020 at 12:15 AM, Archimago said:

...For example, in my blind testing years ago, I found a group of people who preferred MP3 over lossless FLAC. I personally have no problems with this (since I don't think high bitrate MP3 sounds bad at all) but it would be very much "counterculture" to various "purist" forms of audiophilia (including strict objective ideal of "high fidelity" and absolute "transparency") that seeks less manipulation of the sound.

@archimago wondering what you think of this Genelec paper... questioning quick v slow listening..

7 hours ago, Archimago said:

...why should we not think that maybe over time what we perceive is actually a change within ourselves rather than a reflection of the true "difference" produced by the device being listened to?

....that he spent $$$$ on some wires and now feeling better about the money he dropped (because he consciously/subsconsciously wants that to happen as well!).

Thanks and good points..:) A change within ourselves is all part of the 'science' from my point of interest which includes (trying) to understand subjectivity.

For sure spending $$$ is always going to be a major influence on any assessment.

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Hi @tapatrick

I have some thoughts about the "which measurements matter" question that I'll post on the blog in the next while...

Thanks for letting me know. Look forward to reading your thoughts.