IGNORED

Why are objective assessments important...

6 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

What I think most subjectivists sceptically reject is the notion that excellent device specs translates into sonic transparency and the corollary, that an excellent set of specs means that the device will sound like any other device with the same specs.

Don’t assume that the provided measurements are “specs” for an electronic circuit, We know that, for example, THD does not entirely denote “SQ”

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

55 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi Jonathan,

not sure I completely follow what you mean when you say don't assume that the provided measurements are specs for an electronic circuit. At any rate my intention was to use the word specs or specifications in a broader sense, pertaining to materials, design and performance et cetera - the things that define what a product is and does.

Cheers

David

Davd, 

Well yes, a complete specification would be the electronic circuit, firmware, drivers etc, but aside from a FirstWatt amplifier, that is never available. Even then, a SPICE simulation of the circuit is not the same...

A measurement is not a spec in that sense. Some of these specs are more akin to marketing. Of course you may need a certain wattage amp with certain speakers, and a DSD or PCM DAC input etc.

Some measurements like spectra may give an idea about how the product sounds. 

Tell me though, do you find that “performance specs” give you an idea about how the products sounds? If so, which specs? I’d say that some common specs give a very general idea but not at the level of detail I’m interested in — I think that some of the nonlinear behaviors give a better idea of the unique product sound but these aren’t commonly measured nor published.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.