IGNORED

Why are objective assessments important...

21 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

In my opinion therefore we need to establish measurements of the audio signal that not just informs us how the device is performing, as important as that is, but informs us how the sound/music will be perceived, i.e. what will it sound like.

Don’t you think this falls under psychoacoustics? It has been extensively researched and still being discovered. 

Blind tests are useful to determine if the difference can be detected by human hearing. If not than whatever specs becomes unnecessary. 

I don’t think there was any dispute whether objective or subjective 5.1 is perceived to be more pleasurable and real than 2.0.  What kind of measurements can tell this?  

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi ST

coming at this from a purely scientific point of view I don't have a problem with the theory that engineers (or other skilled professional) might be able to produce a signal that is perfectly faithful to the source.

Exact replica is not possible with current technology. Close enough is possible and without reference that will be real enough to fool us. But if someone is telling that two speakers can produce faithfully to the source then the sound should generate the same sound waves like the original equipment. That will be a challenge and no practical way to reproduce them at home. 

As many have pointed out there is currently a poor correlation between many audio measurements and audible sound quality or sound characteristics. I think there is potential for this to change if there are people willing to look (and listen).

Who are they? the latest method of objective and subjective assessment is reliable. 

If you understand how sound and music is perceived it seems reasonable to me, armed with this information, that you might be able to find measurements to reflect this. We might even find out why some people prefer vinyl over digital or vice versa

59 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which is exactly the sort of tracks I've worked on ... pure clipping can be resolved by copying and pasting parts of the track that have the comparable waveform, at slightly lower levels, available to be used, as a template - the ears can't pick that you've 'cheated'.

Life is much simpler than that. 

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/3/20/we-test-3-top-declipper-plug-ins-that-quickly-restores-distorted-audio-listen-compare-amp-vote-for-the-example-you-prefer-the-sound-of