IGNORED

Why are objective assessments important...

9 hours ago, jabbr said:

Don’t assume that the provided measurements are “specs” for an electronic circuit, We know that, for example, THD does not entirely denote “SQ”

Hi Jonathan,

not sure I completely follow what you mean when you say don't assume that the provided measurements are specs for an electronic circuit. At any rate my intention was to use the word specs or specifications in a broader sense, pertaining to materials, design and performance et cetera - the things that define what a product is and does.

Cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

13 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Davd, 

Well yes, a complete specification would be the electronic circuit, firmware, drivers etc, but aside from a FirstWatt amplifier, that is never available. Even then, a SPICE simulation of the circuit is not the same...

A measurement is not a spec in that sense. Some of these specs are more akin to marketing. Of course you may need a certain wattage amp with certain speakers, and a DSD or PCM DAC input etc.

Some measurements like spectra may give an idea about how the product sounds. 

Tell me though, do you find that “performance specs” give you an idea about how the products sounds? If so, which specs? I’d say that some common specs give a very general idea but not at the level of detail I’m interested in — I think that some of the nonlinear behaviors give a better idea of the unique product sound but these aren’t commonly measured nor published.

This is where i maybe went wrong. I consider all measurements to be specs of some kind."The purpose of a specification is to provide a description and statement of the requirements of a product, components of a product, the capability or performance of a product, and/or the service or work to be performed to create a product."

Jonathan (I think) I totally agree with you regarding performance specs and we need better indicators of how products sound in a much greater level of detail than presently exists. Whether that's measuring or quantifying or somehow communicating "nonlinear behaviours" I cannot say. I would much prefer to be informed by objective data even at the end of the day if I reject it and still make my own subjective choice. At least I would have an option, a choice.🤔

Cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

50 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Yes absolutely. I believe in a combination of understanding the electronic circuit, measuring the circuit to ensure that it is behaving as intended, as well as listening!

This is the crux of the question: which measurements predict great sound?

Hard to say but if a product claims low jitter, then let’s see the measurements. If a power cord or supply supposedly improves a DAC then let’s see the measurement! If a product claims to block leakage current then let’s see the effect n a DAC!

Totally agree. My only qualification would be obviously provided that said measurement exists...and exactly as you say, which measurements predict great sound?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:
31 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Until someone!!! takes the business of measuring a complete system in operation, in every possible area that may be relevant, seriously - this will go absolutely nowhere.

I have to say that I've never seen anyone!!! use exclamation marks in the middle of a sentence before.

I'm!! starting to wonder about your !! observation skills! Tom!! Is your sreen! resolving !! enough!? 🤔

Sound Minds Mind Sound